Current time: 04-19-2024, 05:57 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Recoding the php frontend
ispcomm Offline

Recoding the php frontend
I've been digging in the php frontend for the last 2 days (I wrote a controller class to let me import domains from some old ensim servers).

My major disappointment is that I could not use anything of the existing functions because most of the pages contain both functions and raw handling code.

It would have been so nice to include the "domain manipulation class" and then call methods like "add domain", "update domain" etc. Then I could include the "mail" class and add my mail users and the htaccess class etc etc... you get the idea.

Instead I see only hardcoded sql code and ad-hoc functions to handle the browser events and nothing reusable as-is (most of the php pages contain the interaction handling stuff on the bottom).

I ended up copy/pasting the interesing parts in a new file (thus duplicating code etc).

My understanding is that Malte is recoding the php frontend it so it's not a good moment to put hands in this code. It would be nice to think about separating the core logic from the code supporting the user interactions and make this logic available for external scripts (and why not: remote administration etc).

what do you think?

ispcomm
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2008 09:21 AM by ispcomm.)
05-17-2008 04:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cube Offline

RE: Reconding the php frontend
The recoding is done by vanancy not malte.
According to RatS Omega is not the right place to do such big changes...
05-17-2008 08:09 PM
kilburn Offline
Development Team
Dev Team

AND there is no point in writing a new gui that uses the same architecture and db system as the current one, because post-omega everthing will get re-engineered (to support multi-server setups, offer an API to interact with the system, etc.)
05-17-2008 09:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ispcomm Offline

I understand. In the mean time I'm releasing my hack-code in the hope it will be usefull:

http://www.isp-control.net/documentation...controller

Mainly because I need this functionality now and cannot wait for post-omega. This is pre-alpha code but I'm using it to covert servers to omega. It's moving target as you can imagine.

I'm opening a new thread for discussion of this controller here: http://www.isp-control.net/forum/ispcp-c...-3321.html

ispcomm.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2008 10:34 PM by ispcomm.)
05-17-2008 10:26 PM