Current time: 04-20-2024, 09:53 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

RC4 to RC5 update question
robmorin Offline

RC4 to RC5 update question
Hello all, an upgrade question comment...

I updated from RC3 to RC4 a couple weeks ago, with respect to the update script working correctly, i received no errors and everything went ok except for a few major things....

I mean, speaking for myself, i had/have many customized files when i was in RC3. I am sure there must be others that have customized stuff too, like zone files and customized templates and such.... my boss now wants me to prepare for an RC4 to RC5 update...
Here is a list of concerns based on what happened to me on my last update. I understand that i have deviated from the standard templates and zone files and php.ini files, but is there a way to not have these files re-generated?

As per following the update procedure, http://www.isp-control.net/documentation...upgrade/rc
Here is what i experienced...
Good thing i took backups just minutes before the upgrade..

All config files we replaced with new re-generated ones from the new templates, so that means....

All DNS zone files that had any custom mods were lost and replaced with the default ones. Custom meaning, special A records and or other zone related stuff.
Another problem was that the default TTL in a default zone file template is 12 hours, mine are 5 minutes. so after the update it defaulted to 12 hours and then bind was restarted so all the wrong zone info was refreshed out to the world only to be re-refreshed after 12 hours... I did however, up the serial numbers a few times to help it along after i restored my backups.
Is it possible to have the update script ask you if you want to either re-generate these files or not copy over and existing files with the same name?
This was the biggest issue, as custom zones did not work and some clients we not able to have certain resources work for hours due to this....

The php.ini files defaulted back to there default template this caused sites to break, as we have a few sites that for instance have a special open_base directives and other stuff...

The fastcgi_ispcp.conf was replaced and this cause the web server to die every hour or so until i realized that that was the problem and replaced the new default conf with my own.

Here is the difference between the default and the custom one i had

default one, this caused apache to hang very frequently..

FastCgiConfig -minProcesses 1 \
-maxProcesses 400 \
-maxClassProcesses 5 \
-multiThreshold 80 \
-killInterval 60 \
-startDelay 5 \
-idle-timeout 300
# -singleThreshold 100 \
# -autoUpdate \
# -pass-header HTTP_AUTHORIZATION

My conf, have not had a single issue since i put this back..

FastCgiConfig -minProcesses 30 \
-maxProcesses 300 \
-maxClassProcesses 10 \
-singleThreshold 100 \
-killInterval 60 \
-idle-timeout 300 \
-multiThreshold 80 \
-startDelay 5 \
-listen-queue-depth 400 \
-pass-header HTTP_AUTHORIZATION \

So in the end for people that have lots of customized stuff, what would be a proper procedure to do? I did not want to simply copy back the zone file template files from my old install(RC3) as there were new changes and i wanted to keep as current as i can. so should the procedure for RC4 to RC5 in my case be do as before but then recopy all the above mentioned files back over and make sure bind does not restart before that whole procedure is done?

Or should i make any changes manually, meaning do the make install and copt over the files or dirs that would have changed or been updated?

Thanks to all
06-17-2008 01:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robmorin Offline

RE: RC4 to RC5 update question
Hello all... since no one has replied to my question i will post what i think i should do when upgrading from rc4 to rc5 please someone let me know if i am wrong or have forgotten something..

1) Just before the upgrade i will backup...
mysql for ISPCP
/etc ( so i can have courrier and postfix configs as backups just in case)
/var/www/fcgi
/var/www/ispcp
/var/cache/bind/

2) After the backup follow all the steps as per this article up to step 10
http://www.isp-control.net/documentation...upgrade/rc

3) Before running the actual update script.
Restore from my backup; /etc/ispcp/bind/parts*
/etc/ispcp/fcgi/parts
/etc/var/www/fcgi/* ( as there are custom php.ini files)
/etc/postfix/main.cf ( as i have a few custom things in there)
/etc/apache2/mods-available/fastcgi_ispcp.conf

The other stuff i leave as default.

4) Now run the update script, as when it changes from "ok" to change" it will use my old templates. and i will not have the issue i had last time where it changed ttl to 12 hours and all my custom zones files got munched(but i did have backups Smile )

I should expect it to take about an hour as it did last time i guess form rc3 to rc4, as we have about 1500 mailboxes.
Have i missed anything?

Thanks to all..

robmorin Wrote:Hello all, an upgrade question comment...

I updated from RC3 to RC4 a couple weeks ago, with respect to the update script working correctly, i received no errors and everything went ok except for a few major things....

I mean, speaking for myself, i had/have many customized files when i was in RC3. I am sure there must be others that have customized stuff too, like zone files and customized templates and such.... my boss now wants me to prepare for an RC4 to RC5 update...
Here is a list of concerns based on what happened to me on my last update. I understand that i have deviated from the standard templates and zone files and php.ini files, but is there a way to not have these files re-generated?

As per following the update procedure, http://www.isp-control.net/documentation...upgrade/rc
Here is what i experienced...
Good thing i took backups just minutes before the upgrade..

All config files we replaced with new re-generated ones from the new templates, so that means....

All DNS zone files that had any custom mods were lost and replaced with the default ones. Custom meaning, special A records and or other zone related stuff.
Another problem was that the default TTL in a default zone file template is 12 hours, mine are 5 minutes. so after the update it defaulted to 12 hours and then bind was restarted so all the wrong zone info was refreshed out to the world only to be re-refreshed after 12 hours... I did however, up the serial numbers a few times to help it along after i restored my backups.
Is it possible to have the update script ask you if you want to either re-generate these files or not copy over and existing files with the same name?
This was the biggest issue, as custom zones did not work and some clients we not able to have certain resources work for hours due to this....

The php.ini files defaulted back to there default template this caused sites to break, as we have a few sites that for instance have a special open_base directives and other stuff...

The fastcgi_ispcp.conf was replaced and this cause the web server to die every hour or so until i realized that that was the problem and replaced the new default conf with my own.

Here is the difference between the default and the custom one i had

default one, this caused apache to hang very frequently..

FastCgiConfig -minProcesses 1 \
-maxProcesses 400 \
-maxClassProcesses 5 \
-multiThreshold 80 \
-killInterval 60 \
-startDelay 5 \
-idle-timeout 300
# -singleThreshold 100 \
# -autoUpdate \
# -pass-header HTTP_AUTHORIZATION

My conf, have not had a single issue since i put this back..

FastCgiConfig -minProcesses 30 \
-maxProcesses 300 \
-maxClassProcesses 10 \
-singleThreshold 100 \
-killInterval 60 \
-idle-timeout 300 \
-multiThreshold 80 \
-startDelay 5 \
-listen-queue-depth 400 \
-pass-header HTTP_AUTHORIZATION \

So in the end for people that have lots of customized stuff, what would be a proper procedure to do? I did not want to simply copy back the zone file template files from my old install(RC3) as there were new changes and i wanted to keep as current as i can. so should the procedure for RC4 to RC5 in my case be do as before but then recopy all the above mentioned files back over and make sure bind does not restart before that whole procedure is done?

Or should i make any changes manually, meaning do the make install and copt over the files or dirs that would have changed or been updated?

Thanks to all
06-26-2008 12:43 AM
sci2tech Away

Do a diff (or use kompare or something) between your /etc/ispcp/ispcp.conf and the one from rc5 archive. There are some modification (CMD_SED come in my mind)
06-26-2008 02:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robmorin Offline

OK thanks i will check....

sci2tech Wrote:Do a diff (or use kompare or something) between your /etc/ispcp/ispcp.conf and the one from rc5 archive. There are some modification (CMD_SED come in my mind)
06-26-2008 02:27 AM