Current time: 04-19-2024, 10:24 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

INSTALLs in the package and wiki-documentation
xister Offline
Beta Team

RE: INSTALLs in the package and wiki-documentation
Cube Wrote:So I would make it this way:
- delete actual wiki-manuals
- copy all distro-specific install and upgrade manuals from the INSTALL-files to the wiki
- add a sentence, that this manual is for the most recent release and that instructions for nightly builds or older versions can be found in the INSTALL-files
- restrict editing of these pages (has to be done by superuser gOOvER)
- the docu-team will update the wiki if RatS/devs make changes to the INSTALL-files and there is a new release

Any doubts/objections?

Sounds very good Smile
08-12-2008 05:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gOOvER Offline
Banned

I don't think, that we have to delete the Guides from the Wiki. These Guides are the same as in the Packages.

Maybe RatS can send us a PM when something has changed and we can change this in the Wiki. Without the Wiki many people will ask, how to install ispcp and we collect many Postpoints. I think this is the easiest Way. We only have to communicate Smile
08-12-2008 04:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cube Offline

Quote:These Guides are the same as in the Packages.
No, they are different (especially the upgrade-manual), some days ago they were even so different that they were failed upgrades with the wiki-manuals. There are some points in it, that aren't in the INSTALL-file, others are missing. That's why I started this thread.

Quote:Maybe RatS can send us a PM when something has changed and we can change this in the Wiki.
I'm tracking the timeline, for me it's no problem to update the wiki if there is a change. But it's very hard to do that at the moment, because the wiki manual is too different from the INSTALL-file. And it will always be as long as others can edit it.
08-12-2008 09:03 PM
gOOvER Offline
Banned

The installation doesn't make any Problems. The installguide in the Package has not all the notes to earlier Errors.

The only Problem atm is the upgradeguide.
08-12-2008 09:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gOOvER Offline
Banned

Maybe another solution:

http://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:websvn
08-12-2008 09:33 PM
Cube Offline

I don't see many advantages with this plugin. We would have to point to the INSTALL-file of the latest release and not to the trunk and so still have to update it with a new release. We would also loose the layout and the separation of the install and upgrade-manual.
08-12-2008 09:44 PM
RatS Offline
Project Leader

if stable is out, we can discuss, how to build an installer, so no more INSTALL-rules are needed. But not yet.
08-13-2008 05:48 AM
BioALIEN Offline
Public Relations Officer
Dev Team

The reason it's good to have a web version of the guides is so we can link to it in the forum. Many new users will ask on the forum before trying out the actual product. Some even fail to read the files and go straight to posting for help. In this case, linking to these guides can help Smile

I think we are close to finding a solution. Once v1.0 is out, there will not be huge changes to the docs as the processes will be somewhat stable.
08-17-2008 03:22 PM