Current time: 04-27-2024, 01:32 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

PATCH: Multi-Server ispCP!
zmediaguru Offline

PATCH: Multi-Server ispCP!
I have the basics all up and running, and have successfully packaged up my patch and SQL update script. This patch applies to a fresh install of ISPCP RC6, it contains both the .patch file and the SQL update script:

.gz  ispcp_multisite_rc6_tar.gz (Size: 8.29 KB / Downloads: 33)

Basically, this patch does the following:
  • - Updates/Modifies the GUI to all for managing hosts, assigning IP addresses to hosts, and displaying the applicable host under Domain Details.
  • - Revises the GUI to call the daemon on each configured host when changes are applied to the database.
  • - Revises the daemon to listen for connections on all IP addresses, not just the local host. This is obviously a potential security concern, and will need to be hardened with some form of authentication in the future.
  • - Revises the ispcp-rqst-mngr engine script queries to only apply modifications intended for this host on this server. Note: Currently I have just implemented revisions for handling the primary domains and mailbox accounts. I have not fully implemented Aliases and Subdomains yet.

Applying the Experimental ISP-CP Multi-Site Patch

I have tested this process on a fresh Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy server. Here is the process for applying the patch and setting up multi-servers:

Step 1: Download and unzip ISPCP-omega RC6
Code:
# wget http://voxel.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/ispcp/ispcp-omega-1.0.0-rc6.tar.gz
# tar -xvzf ispcp-omega-1.0.0-rc6.tar.gz

Step 2: Download and unzip ISPCP-multisite Patch (see attachment above)

Step 3: Install ISPCP Dependencies (see documentation for your specific distro)

Step 4: Apply ISPCP-multisite Patch - from ispcp-omega.1.0 folder, run:
Code:
# cd ispcp-omega-1.0.0
# patch -p2 <[path to patchfile]/ispcp_multisite_rc6.patch
Step 5: Build ISP-CP
Code:
# make install
Step 6: Copy files to root
Code:
# cp -Rv /tmp/ispcp/* /
Step 7: Run ISP-CP Setup
Code:
# cd /var/www/ispcp/engine/setup
# perl ispcp-setup
- For the first host in the cluster, select MySQL host as 'localhost'. For additional hosts in the cluster, enter the hostname of the first host you installed.

Step 8: Run ISP-CP multisite DB plugs
Code:
# mysql -u root -p ispcp < [path to patchfile]/ispcp_multisite_rc6.sql
Step 9: Login to ISP-CP
Step 10: Create new host entry for local machine
- Click Settings > Manage Hosts
- For Host: enter local hostname
- For Alias: enter a description of the local server
- Click Add

All Done! To add additional servers to the ISP-CP cluster, follow the steps above, installing a full copy of ISP-CP,

The only difference on the additional servers will be during the ispcp-setup, point the MySQL database to the original ISP-CP server. All ISP-CP node servers will point to the same server. Note: You may need to manually adjust permissions on the 'ispcp' database to allow connections from other hosts.

Once you have multiple servers set up in this manner, you can add IP addresses, and assign those IP address to any host setup and configured on the system.

Note: This modification is highly experimental and untested, and intended only for testing purposes on a clean installation of ISP-CP - proceed at your own risk. There is still quite a bit of work to be done. Not intended for use in Production.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2008 10:01 AM by zmediaguru.)
09-10-2008 09:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BeNe Offline
Moderators

RE: PATCH: Multi-Server ispCP!
I am during the testing this time...install was without any Problem.

Short result for the first time:
As long as the list is empty only the varibales are shown:

After the first host, it looks ok. But i can´t delete the it.
When i add a second Server i have a Remove Button for both.

Go on now with testing....

Greez BeNe
09-10-2008 06:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BeNe Offline
Moderators

Ok, maybe i have some understanding problems.
I installed the second Server now and set the MySQL Server to the first host. But in this step the setup does create the ispCP DB new. Means with every new host in the Cluster all settings get lost ?!

Greez BeNe
09-10-2008 07:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DiXeoN Offline

Maybe, in the ispcp setup you should be able to select if its a master host, or a slave host?

Just an idea i got Smile

(The master host is normal, and the slave doesnt create the DB again)
09-10-2008 09:05 PM
zmediaguru Offline

BeNe Wrote:Short result for the first time:
As long as the list is empty only the varibales are shown:

This is correct, until the install script is modified to automatically add the localhost as a host during setup. For now you have to add it manually.

BeNe Wrote:Ok, maybe i have some understanding problems.
I installed the second Server now and set the MySQL Server to the first host. But in this step the setup does create the ispCP DB new. Means with every new host in the Cluster all settings get lost ?!

Good catch. When I tested installing my second server, I actually installed it with a local database, and then once it was running pointed it over to the first server's db by changing the variables in ispcp.conf.

DiXeoN Wrote:Maybe, in the ispcp setup you should be able to select if its a master host, or a slave host?

Good idea! This should definitely make the setup process easier. Good suggestion!
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2008 02:18 AM by zmediaguru.)
09-11-2008 02:12 AM
zmediaguru Offline

BeNe Wrote:After the first host, it looks ok. But i can´t delete the it.
When i add a second Server i have a Remove Button for both.

This is the same behavior that Manage IPs has. Since an IP must be assigned to a host, there must be at least one host present at all times. To change hosts (or IPs) completely, you just need to add your new one, then remove the one you no longer wish to use.

Also, similar to the IP behavior, the GUI will not let you remove a host if there are currently any IP addresses assigned to it. You must first reassign all IPs to other hosts before it will allow you to remove the host. This prevents orphaned IP addresses.
09-11-2008 02:17 AM
DiXeoN Offline

Im glad that you could use my suggestion!
09-11-2008 08:18 PM
Eminos Offline

Just wanted to say that this sounds great (and sign up for the email notification) Smile

Will this enable us to create several separate apache and mysql hosts/servers ? So when a domain user is creating a database he could choose what mysql-server he wants it on?

/E
09-16-2008 04:35 AM
zmediaguru Offline

Eminos Wrote:Will this enable us to create several separate apache and mysql hosts/servers ? So when a domain user is creating a database he could choose what mysql-server he wants it on?
No - currently this patch requires the use of a single MySQL server that all of the ISP-CP servers all connect to.

With my installation, I use a separate server dedicated to MySQL that can handle quite a bit of load from multiple ISP-CP web servers. Perhaps down the road we can look at adding support for multiple MySQL servers.

Currently this path allows the administration of multiple IPS-CP servers, each running their own independent Apache, ProFTP, Bind, and Postfix - all conveniently configured from a single ISP-CP control panel.

My next step is to work on breaking out the Bind so that DNS runs on a single server (possibly with slave Bind servers configured) so that all DNS is handled on a single server. Having separate Bind instances on each server is too cumbersome for my purposes.
09-23-2008 06:33 AM
zmediaguru Offline

Update: I'm finishing up work on refining the Traffic Statistics counting functions to work better with this Multi-Server configuration. The Traffic updates track bandwidth usage per server or total combined bandwidth.

I hope to post an updated patch as soon as I have finished the revisions, and cleaned up my patch.

Stay tuned!
11-12-2008 09:03 AM