Current time: 04-17-2024, 02:58 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

DNS and FTP...wont work?
david Offline

DNS and FTP...wont work?
Greetings,

I'm relatively new at Linux. I have Ubuntu 8.04 installed on my system, and the latest version of ispCP, that I installed with no errors. However I have two problems I can't seem to work around. I didn't have a domain when I installed ispCP so I used a .cjb.net, and pointed it to my IP, it worked fine. After installation however, I added .ca domain, but when I tried to use ns1.mydomain.cjb.net with that domain it wouldn't work, it couldn't find the nameserver. I'm not sure if/how to setup nameservers to work with ispCP on linux, or if ispCP setup nameservers automatically, and didn't work, or I did something wrong.

Also I can't seem to get FTP working. I make an account, and ispCP says it's successfully created, but when I try to connect it can't find the FTP server. I checked, and the FTP server is running.

If someone could help me with these problems, I would really appreciate it, thank you!
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2008 04:19 AM by david.)
08-13-2008 04:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
david Offline

RE: DNS and FTP...wont work?
david Wrote:Greetings,

I'm relatively new at Linux. I have Ubuntu 8.04 installed on my system, and the latest version of ispCP, that I installed with no errors. However I have two problems I can't seem to work around. I didn't have a domain when I installed ispCP so I used a .cjb.net, and pointed it to my IP, it worked fine. After installation however, I added .ca domain, but when I tried to use ns1.mydomain.cjb.net with that domain it wouldn't work, it couldn't find the nameserver. I'm not sure if/how to setup nameservers to work with ispCP on linux, or if ispCP setup nameservers automatically, and didn't work, or I did something wrong.

Also I can't seem to get FTP working. I make an account, and ispCP says it's successfully created, but when I try to connect it can't find the FTP server. I checked, and the FTP server is running.

If someone could help me with these problems, I would really appreciate it, thank you!

Fixed the DNS Smile BUT now FTP has a problem still,

I can't connect to the ftp server, and on the control panel when I attempt to select a directory I get this:
Code:
Can not open directory !
Please contact your administrator !

Another user had the same problem here, http://isp-control.net/forum/can-not-ope...-3982.html and his password was wrong in the proftpd.conf file, but I don't see any place for a password to go in this file :S!

Any help would be great, thanks!
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2008 03:40 AM by david.)
08-15-2008 03:38 AM
sci2tech Away

Search the forum. few days ago somebody has the same problem. Stop proftpd daemon start it as proftpd -n -d5 , try to login and post here the output
08-15-2008 04:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pgentoo Offline
Dev Team

I had a problem with one of the recent settings changes in proftpd.conf.

The part about hiding the ispcp folders (htdocs,phptmp, backups, etc...) made it so when i logged in i coudln't get a directory listing. Disabing the "HideNoAccess" option fixed this for me. I think i may have also had to remove the block with "PathDenyFilter".

I think we still need some work around the default proftpd config...
08-16-2008 03:14 AM
david Offline

In the end I just decided to switch to pureFTP using a guide I saw. But now, again..the DNS wont work. I'm behind a router, and the server's IP is 192.168.0.194(DMZ is setup, and I can access my server through my external IP fine), the ISPCP address is admin.mydomain.com. I set up the nameserver with my registrar ns1.mydomain.com, and using a mydomain.com with that NS seemed to work perfectly, however only computers behind my router could access the website, a ping of mydomain.com told me it's IP was 192.168.0.194, as opposed to my external IP address, and when I pinged my website from a remote computer it timed out. I've changed the IP in the ispcp.conf file to my external IP but this changed nothing. Adding my external IP to ISPCP in the administration panel also didn't work, all that did was make mydomain.com and all subdomains of mydomain.com go to the ISPCP login page, as opposed to my website.

In /var/cache/bind/mydomain.com.db I have this:

Quote: IN NS ns1.mydomain.com.
IN NS ns2.mydomain.com.
IN MX 10 mail.mydomain.com.

mydomain.com. IN A 192.168.0.194
www IN A 192.168.0.194
mydomain.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx ip4:192.168.0.194 ~all"
localhost IN A 127.0.0.1
mail IN A EXTERNALIP
ns1 IN A EXTERNALIP
ns2 IN A EXTERNALIP
; CNAME for mail transfer
imap IN CNAME mail
pop IN CNAME mail
pop3 IN CNAME mail
relay IN CNAME mail
smtp IN CNAME mail

I changed mydomain.com and www to my external IP and it seemed to work, without changing anything mail.mydomain.com was working too, I don't understand why mail, ns1 and ns2 go to my external IP, but www and mydomain.com go to 192.168.0.194, whenever I add a domain, do I have to change it's config file to fix this!?[/quote]
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2008 04:45 AM by david.)
08-16-2008 04:20 AM
david Offline

Oh, when I add my external IP as an ip in the admin CP, it makes mydomain and www go to my external IP, but I can't access mydomain.com :S!
08-18-2008 04:09 AM
david Offline

anyone?
08-19-2008 01:58 AM