Current time: 05-17-2024, 11:42 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ispcp with heartbeat
balistof Offline

ispcp with heartbeat
Hi folks,

I want to setup a redundant webserver cluster with 2 nodes. For that I installed ispcp on both node machines and created the domains on both using ispcp.

Now, heartbeat creates a virtual inferface using a third ip-address on the selected node. So in that case the chosen node has 2 ip-addresses:
- the physical ip of the network card, and
- the virtual interface with another ip (created by heartbeat)

incoming http requests are always coming via the virtual interface therefore it is necessary to have apache listen on that ip. I've seen a howto for ispcp to change the ip address but then the webserver is not listening on the physical interface.

does anyone have a suggestion howto configure the two nodes with heartbeat?

thanks for your help guys!
01-18-2009 05:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nathariel Offline

RE: ispcp with heartbeat
If I understand you correctly, you have two choices:

First, you can make a virtual host listen to two addresses like this:
NameVirtualHost ip1
NameVirtualHost ip2

<VirtualHost ip1 ip2>
</VirtualHost>

Second, you can make it listen to any address with the following syntax

Use the following syntax

Namevirtualhost *:port

<VirtualHost *:port>
</VirtualHost>

If you are going to use it, change the default templates in /etc/ispcp/apache/parts and don't forget to update /etc/ispcp/apache/working/ispcp.conf with your new version.
01-23-2009 11:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
balistof Offline

Nathariel,

thanks for your reply and your good idea. I think listening on all IP addresses is the best approach in my case!

However there is a question left: You mentioned to make the necessary changes in /etc/ispcp/apache/working/ispcp.conf. Now I was wondering why it should be done there and not in the apache directory: /etc/apache2/sites-available/ispcp.conf
01-26-2009 03:44 AM
Nathariel Offline

It should be done on both places (or at least in ../../apache/working/). ISPCP maintains its local 'copy' of the conf file in /etc/ispcp/apache/working/ and makes all changes there.
If you don't update it, after you make a change (add,delete modify a domain), ispcp will just overwrite your local modifications in /etc/apache2/sites-available/ with its own copy and all you have done will be lost.

With few words: Be sure to keep the two files in sync or if you are going to change anything, that you will use later -> do it in /etc/ispcp/apache/working/ispcp.conf Smile
01-26-2009 04:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
balistof Offline

ah, ok
Thanks for you help on that one!!!
01-27-2009 04:20 AM