Current time: 07-06-2024, 11:52 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Reinstall from Scratch - Restore client data?
lschafroth Offline

Reinstall from Scratch - Restore client data?
I would like to reinstall the Debian OS from scratch. The text only screen setup never allowed me to use raid to use all the drives in my system for maximum disk space.

I dont need redundancy for now, just the use of all my drives as one big drive. CentOS did this for me, Debian fails misserably.

I would like to resintall then install 1.0.0 of the control panel then import all my users email and passwords back. Is this at all possible? I am currently on Debian Etch and RC7 which was upgraded from RC6.

Thanks!!

Lannie

PS I would also need to have someone show me how to do the raid or virtual drive during setup as all linux guides I have found do NOT work.
02-16-2009 03:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BeNe Offline
Moderators

RE: Reinstall from Scratch - Restore client data?
Sorry but this has nothing todo with ispCP. Looks more you need an Admin or talk about it in a Adminforum/Serversupportforum.

Thanks & Greez
BeNe
02-16-2009 09:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RodNoc Offline

(02-16-2009 03:10 PM)lschafroth Wrote:  I would like to resintall then install 1.0.0 of the control panel then import all my users email and passwords back. Is this at all possible? I am currently on Debian Etch and RC7 which was upgraded from RC6.

I think you only need a full Backup (ispcp-config-files, keys, Databases und /var/www/) and then do a new installation on your server. Then only install the backup and you are ready.
For safety you can extract the plain passwords for the mail-users.

I'm not sure about this, but I think it would work.

For the RAID-Problem: Try searching in a CentOS-Forum, there are the experts for your problem Wink

Regards
Dom
02-16-2009 09:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lschafroth Offline

(02-16-2009 09:12 PM)BeNe Wrote:  Sorry but this has nothing todo with ispCP. Looks more you need an Admin or talk about it in a Adminforum/Serversupportforum.

Thanks & Greez
BeNe
ugh...how can this NOT be a ispCP issue? I want to backup an existing ispCP system, reinstall from scratch then restore my ispCP data. I think that is EXACTLY a ispCP question.

Lannie
(02-16-2009 09:49 PM)RodNoc Wrote:  I think you only need a full Backup (ispcp-config-files, keys, Databases und /var/www/) and then do a new installation on your server. Then only install the backup and you are ready.
For safety you can extract the plain passwords for the mail-users.

I'm not sure about this, but I think it would work.

For the RAID-Problem: Try searching in a CentOS-Forum, there are the experts for your problem Wink

Regards
Dom

I dont have CentOS so I dont think that would help.

Will your backup option restore all the client email as well?

Lannie
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2009 11:41 PM by lschafroth.)
02-16-2009 11:40 PM
RodNoc Offline

Ahh.. OK, for RAIDs you must ask in Debian-Forum Wink

Mails are in /var/mail/virtual/, they must be backuped, too. I don't know if that is everything what you must save. I created a full-backup of my whole system (safety first Wink )

Regards
Dom
02-16-2009 11:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BeNe Offline
Moderators

Quote:ugh...how can this NOT be a ispCP issue? I want to backup an existing ispCP system, reinstall from scratch then restore my ispCP data. I think that is EXACTLY a ispCP question.
Sorry this was a miss understanding! You talked about RAID Systems... - Sorry!
Of Course, backup and restore is an ispCP Topic.

You need:

/etc/
/var/www/
/var/mail/
/var/lib/mysql

Missed i something ?

Greez BeNe
02-16-2009 11:58 PM
lschafroth Offline

(02-16-2009 11:58 PM)BeNe Wrote:  You need:

/etc/
/var/www/
/var/mail/
/var/lib/mysql

Missed i something ?

Greez BeNe

I may need hand holding. Smile I simply copy everything in the /etc folder? What about the mysql datbase and it's data? Shouldn't I be exporting somehow instead of copying? If I upgrade to a new system, then copy everything back arent I copying over the config files and getting back to the problems I had before?

I'm new to Linux so forgive me if these questions are strange.

Lannie
I will most likely be doing a comlplete reinstall of my server. I'm a newbie and I have done a lot of hacking and trial and error during the entire process up through the upgrade to RC7.

I've added maia and fuzzy ocr and after the ocr install and a apt-get upgrade my email stopped working. I've changed so many settings I'm not sure I can ever get it solid again. Plus I have to reboot the server weekly to keep it running and I dont think that is the true nature of linux.

I would like to install Debian Lenny on my box.
Install ispCP 1.0.0 and all required applications.
Restore client email with current usernames and passwords.
Restore client websites, including mysql databases with current usernames and passwords.

Since RC7 switched to encrypted passwords, I can no longer see what the customer uses so how would I accomplish the tasks above? I know..loaded question. Smile

If I install Lenny, do I manually install postfix and all the other newer applications or let ispCP install them for me then upgrade them all via apt-get upgrade?

Lannie
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2009 03:14 AM by lschafroth.)
02-17-2009 03:05 AM
lschafroth Offline

I see Lenny isnt any better at partitioning than earlier versions.

I'm testing a Untangle OpenSource firewall based on Sarge. I rebooted with the new boot disc with the new version of Debian Lenny. The install failed at the partitioning part. It says you cant have a partition outside the disk. Not sure what the heck that means.

I had to remove all partitions with a windows boot disc then run the install again and it was fine with a raw drive. Not sure why Debian partitioning software is so BAD!

Lannie
02-17-2009 08:43 AM