Current time: 04-25-2024, 09:50 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

TRAC or others particular website
edony44 Offline

TRAC or others particular website
Hi, it would be good for ispcp to havie the abilities of making some
special domain in virtual host text edit mode!

for example when you want to install trac you need to add some parameters that ispcp can't define !!

Code:
<VirtualHost *>
        ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
        ServerName trac.example.com
        DocumentRoot /usr/share/trac/cgi-bin/
        <Directory /usr/share/trac/cgi-bin/>
                Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews ExecCGI
                AllowOverride All
                Order allow,deny
                allow from all
        </Directory>
        Alias /trac "/usr/share/trac/htdocs"

<Location /trac.cgi>
            SetEnv TRAC_ENV "/var/lib/trac"
        </Location>

DirectoryIndex trac.cgi
        ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error.trac.log
        CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access.trac.log combined
</VirtualHost>

and with the ispcp system it's quite hard to make it, because we have to add parameters in bind, ispcp.conf or another site.conf file and for the /working/ dir to ( to keep settings when ispcp auto-change configuration files)

well it's not very usefull
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2007 08:15 PM by edony44.)
05-16-2007 07:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

RE: TRAC or others particular website
Since its not very usefull to give the customers a text filed for apache options (security!!) there are maybe possibilities to
a) insert special lines only as admin (so he can check whats being inserted) or
b) make a menu for every possible configuration option which does not touch the security...

Maybe option a can be done (verion >1.0.0), version b may take a while... (but things like this are planned - eg. for php optins...)
05-16-2007 08:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ephigenie Offline
Project Leader
Administrators

yes & the problem with that is : if there's a failure in the input for that host - the whole server might be down than (of course only apache)

so - thats not a good idea to give that to "normal" users & resellers.
But i agree with you that an admin might have use for this option.

But for now i'd like to say that a first and big step might be to include options for several "small" changes - that can be done safely via the interface i.e. configuring "AllowOverride", DirectoryIndex, Php - version and such stuff..
05-16-2007 08:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
edony44 Offline

ephigenie Wrote:yes & the problem with that is : if there's a failure in the input for that host - the whole server might be down than (of course only apache)

so - thats not a good idea to give that to "normal" users & resellers.
But i agree with you that an admin might have use for this option.

But for now i'd like to say that a first and big step might be to include options for several "small" changes - that can be done safely via the interface i.e. configuring "AllowOverride", DirectoryIndex, Php - version and such stuff..

i agree with you to not given user and resseler these acess right, but an admin should...

The good point of this strategy ( input method ) is that ispcp would become more customizable, ( more flexible) even if it's not very user friendly but it's sure that if people can't make web-interface like trac, joomla, drupal work... "they will not be as happy as it could be" CoolCoolBig Grin
05-16-2007 10:29 PM
BeNe Offline
Moderators

Quote:....it's sure that if people can't make web-interface like trac, joomla, drupal work...

Joomla works without any Problems with ispCP Smile
05-16-2007 10:53 PM
edony44 Offline

BeNe Wrote:
Quote:....it's sure that if people can't make web-interface like trac, joomla, drupal work...

you know what i mean !! Tongue
05-16-2007 11:08 PM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

edony44 Wrote:
BeNe Wrote:

you know what i mean !! Tongue

Ok, there are some web applications which require very special apache configuration. Most of the apps are fine with the possibilities in a .htaccess file.
A control panel will never [ok, never say never] be as flexible as the manual configuration.
05-17-2007 05:15 AM
BeNe Offline
Moderators

Of course - .htaccess, this could perhaps help in some situation [Image: icon_denk.gif]
05-17-2007 05:18 AM
raphael Offline

ephigenie Wrote:yes & the problem with that is : if there's a failure in the input for that host - the whole server might be down than (of course only apache)
Checking if apache2 -t complains would be a way to prevent this... but I agree with the fact that should be a way to add more entries and not only to apache's config, but also for bind; so for example the MX servers can be changed, etc.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2007 09:12 AM by raphael.)
05-17-2007 06:41 AM
edony44 Offline

raphael Wrote:
Checking if apache2 -t complains would be a way to prevent this... but I agree with the fact that should be a way to add more entries and not only to apache's config, but also to for example bind... so for example the MX servers can be changed, etc.

yes we have to consider that admin of ispcp will not be totally newbies !!! ( )
05-17-2007 08:04 AM