Current time: 05-03-2024, 09:03 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FQDN
Nomis Offline

FQDN
Hi Guys

Help me pls, this whole FQDN has me stummped.

My understanding of a FQDN is ns.wherever.co.za qualifies as a FQDN.

For the ispCP installation you need a “fully qualified domain name” (FQDN) which is not a main domain. You can use a Subdomain as Example:

What qualifies as a main domain

Your Domain is: wherever.co.za
Your FQDN is: srv01.ns.wherever.co.za (So would this be correct)

echo srv01.ns.wherever.co.za > /etc/hostname
cp /etc/hostname /etc/mailname

And do I put this in the Postfix FQDN as well.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
08-18-2009 03:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kilburn Offline
Development Team
Dev Team

RE: FQDN
You're right, just note that you MUST delegate the srv01.ns.wherever.co.za zone to your server (this must be done at wherever you host [ns].wherever.co.za).
08-18-2009 11:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nomis Offline

Thanks for the reply, but can you tell me why this has changed. I have a ispCP 1.0rc2 OMEGA
build: 2007-04-18 Priamos and it is configured thus: ns.somewhere.co.za and I host the box. I configured the server name as [ns] the main controlling domain as (somewhere.co.za) so the primary DNS address is ns.somewhere.co.za and the secondary is goma.saux.net (The ISP who provide me with the access). With them I, requested a PTR or reverse lookup record to be added to there system which is ns.somewhere.co.za

So when I created a domain on the sever all I had to do was request that they add the secondary DNS record to my list under ns.somewhere.co.za and once the record was created I could register the domain and use ns.somewhere.co.za as the primary and goma.saux.net as the secondary dns servers.

This is where my confusion comes in. I now have to call the box srv01.ns.wherever.co.za, or can I leave it as ns.wherever.co.za ( Why must I add the srv01)

When setting up Debian 5 the sever. It requests a sever name, it automatically puts (ns) in do I now replace (ns) with (srv01.ns) and then call the domain (wherever.co.za).

Do I then request my ISP to configure (srv01.ns.wherever.co.za) as a PTR or reverse lookup. And when I register a new domain will the primary DNS now be srv01.ns.wherever.co.za or will it be ns.wherever.co.za

Again thanks for the assistance.
08-18-2009 03:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kilburn Offline
Development Team
Dev Team

Quote:This is where my confusion comes in. I now have to call the box srv01.ns.wherever.co.za, or can I leave it as ns.wherever.co.za ( Why must I add the srv01)

Sure you can! Smile A fqdn is *any* valid non-tld (sub)domain. In fact, wherever.co.za is already a fqdn, but if you setup it as the master then you won't be able to host a website for it. That's why the panel recomments something.your.domain.tld
08-18-2009 04:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply