Current time: 04-25-2024, 01:54 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Split Customer Record / Domain
fosstux Offline

Split Customer Record / Domain
Hi! I really like ispCP a lot - but there is one thing that really disturbs me:
That customer and domain cannot be seperated.

I as Reseller would wish to do the following:
  • Create customer Record
  • Assign webspace pack to customer
  • Assign domain(s) to the customer

Then I as admin can have a look at customer stats instead of domain stats.

Thanks.

Christopher
03-04-2009 02:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kilburn Offline
Development Team
Dev Team

RE: Split Customer Record / Domain
Each customer has a "main" domain, but can also own any number of alias domains. Moreover, this additional domains can be just redirections or have their own webroot, mail accounts, etc..
As stat counts are "merged" between the main and alias domains, IspCp already has the functionality you are asking for, just a little obscured Wink

Cheers!
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2009 02:45 AM by kilburn.)
03-07-2009 02:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pgentoo Offline
Dev Team

The problem is as follows though...

Say you want to remove the main domain of the user, but keep all the aliases. Now you have to do some major shuffling to get this to happen. It would be much much easier if there was just a "username" that ALL the domains were added under.

I also hope this is changed in the future. Smile
03-07-2009 07:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
momo Offline

This looks like a major update.
Have anyone ask for that on the timeline?
03-07-2009 01:47 PM
pgentoo Offline
Dev Team

http://www.isp-control.net/ispcp/wiki/wishlist_2_5

I believe this is the first item in the wishlist, however i don't see it promised in any perticular release yet.

It does sound like a lot of work though. I'm assuming there are lots of places that assume this /var/www/virtual/basedomainname.tld/ path throughout the code. I would LOVE to see this implemented though, as it is my biggest problem with current ispcp.

-
pGentoo
03-08-2009 08:03 AM
momo Offline

Ouf/ouch Sad

Quote:I'm assuming there are lots of places that assume this /var/www/virtual/basedomainname.tld/ path throughout the code.
I'm assuming you are damn right...

Is someone banging his head on this already? Big Grin
Timeline?

Maybe we could start with:
1-"Change Username" feature
and then
2-We could replace the "Domain Alias" for simpler "Domain"

Furthermore:
1=mv /var/www/virtual/basedomainname.tld/ to /var/www/virtual/NEW_USERNAME/ + making that works Rolleyes
I don't see any problem with mail management since domain/alias already have their own directory.

Does that sound realistic?
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2009 08:33 AM by momo.)
03-08-2009 08:32 AM
sci2tech Away

Well, I`m banging my head on this Big Grin. But there are so many thing in my ToDo list, so I can`t say when will be ready.
03-08-2009 08:55 AM
pgentoo Offline
Dev Team

sci2tech, have you actually started work on this, or just thought about what needs to be done? Do you have ideas on what needs to be done here?

I looked into this before and here is what i came up with... Currently there is already an 'admin' table broken out (users) that is used for auth, etc. Right now there is a 1:1 for this table and 'domain', this seems pointless in my opinion. And then the set of domain/subdomain alias tables... Sad

What I would really like to see done is as follows:

1. During account creation, add a "username" parameter that will go into the 'admin' table intead of the base domain name.
2. Remove the concept of a "base domain", but maybe take in the optional information to add a domain during system setup (woudln't even be necessary though, could be added after account setup).
3. change the system to remove domain_aliases from the mix, and just allow creation of multiple domains. Maybe since domain aliases code already supports multiple, it would be easier to get rid of existing domain handling and move "domain aliases" to just be "domains"?
4. Domains would be created under a path like /var/www/virtual/{USERNAME}/{DOMAIN_NAME}/... , therfore giving equal treatment for all domains, whether they are the first added or the n'th...
5. Change all assumptions in the system about the location of a domain to be to the standard /var/www/virtual/{USERNAME}/{DOMAIN_NAME}/ (probably a ton of these? Sad)

Any other key things that need to be done?

Any peices in perticular that i could help out with on this? I'm not good at perl, but could definately do the php side of things...

-
pGentoo
03-08-2009 09:16 AM
sci2tech Away

(03-08-2009 09:16 AM)pgentoo Wrote:  sci2tech, have you actually started work on this, or just thought about what needs to be done? Do you have ideas on what needs to be done here?

I did not started yet, but it`s planed. I did not know yet entirely what else need to be modified to make it work but there are some more things.

(03-08-2009 09:16 AM)pgentoo Wrote:  1. During account creation, add a "username" parameter that will go into the 'admin' table intead of the base domain name.
No need, we already have domain_admin_id field that allow us link to admin table

(03-08-2009 09:16 AM)pgentoo Wrote:  2. Remove the concept of a "base domain", but maybe take in the optional information to add a domain during system setup (woudln't even be necessary though, could be added after account setup).
For this all engine must be rewritten, because it is expected that home dir to be on some format. From here all things tie so ...

(03-08-2009 09:16 AM)pgentoo Wrote:  Any peices in perticular that i could help out with on this? I'm not good at perl, but could definately do the php side of things...
Any help on this (solve other problem from gui) will allow me to work on engine side.
03-08-2009 09:24 AM
pgentoo Offline
Dev Team

When I said "add a username parameter", I guess i just meant that currently the form is taking is something called "domain name". This could just be changed to "username" and during initial setup, no domain would be created (leave this for later). Basically was just getting at the idea that instead of putting a domain name into the admin table (as the "username"), we would instead put in the actual username requested by the client.

As for the folder location issue... In my previous control panel that I wrote, I kept the domain filesystem path in the domain table of the database. This allowed for much flexibility when i needed to go back and change around where things were located, etc. It doesn't hold everything to a strict standard, but gives much flexibility. During the actual addition of the record to the database, the "standard" of where to put it was applied, like: /var/www/virtual/{USERNAME}/{DOMAIN}/. In this case, if i wanted to move some/all of my domains to different physical locations, I could move them, update the paths in the domain table, and then kick off the configs to regenerate. I agree this could be locked down to a single assumed location and put into the ispcp.config, but its not quite as flexible.

I understand that there will be changes all over the place in the engine. When this is done, I'd recommend that we pull out any assumption of where the files are located, and either move this into the DB, or into ispcp.conf. This will give users of the system (including me Smile)much flexibility to adapt ispCP to their needs.

If you have some specific peices of the UI that need rework for this, and have an idea of what you want done, please let me know and i'll see what i can do. I'd really like to see this change become a reality soon, as the current structure just confuses my clients.

Thanks,
pGentoo
03-08-2009 09:46 AM