Current time: 04-19-2024, 07:10 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Setup Secondary Mail Relay
kilburn Offline
Development Team
Dev Team

RE: Setup Secondary Mail Relay
Quote:BTW - temporarily setting the relay domain as IN MX 5 relay.domain.tld. in DNS...
Is that a valid test? It should then forward on...
Code:
domain.tld. IN MX 5 relay.domain.tld.
domain.tld. IN MX 10 mail.domain.tld.

Hmmm... I don't remember how did you assign the DNS records, so double answer here:

1. If relay.domain.tld points to the panel
Invalid test. Postfix will think that it's the main server, but as you told it that this domain isn't local, it won't know what to do with the messages and thus it will generate failure DSNs.

2. If mail.domain.tld points to the panel
This is the good setup. As the final server is the preferred one, postfix will know what to do with mails for that domain (relay them to the primary) and everything should work fine and wonderfully.

The easiest way to test the setup is manually sending an e-mail through telnet, like (server answers omitted, but you will get feedback to this commands):
Code:
telnet mail.domain.tld 25
ehlo me.com
mail from: me@me.com
rcpt to: recipient@domain.tld
data
Subject: testing
Testing

Just look at the responses you get during the process (relay denied, whatever).
05-25-2009 07:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vetch101 Offline

(05-25-2009 07:52 PM)kilburn Wrote:  
Quote:BTW - temporarily setting the relay domain as IN MX 5 relay.domain.tld. in DNS...
Is that a valid test? It should then forward on...
Code:
domain.tld. IN MX 5 relay.domain.tld.
domain.tld. IN MX 10 mail.domain.tld.

Hmmm... I don't remember how did you assign the DNS records, so double answer here:

1. If relay.domain.tld points to the panel
Invalid test. Postfix will think that it's the main server, but as you told it that this domain isn't local, it won't know what to do with the messages and thus it will generate failure DSNs.

2. If mail.domain.tld points to the panel
This is the good setup. As the final server is the preferred one, postfix will know what to do with mails for that domain (relay them to the primary) and everything should work fine and wonderfully.

The easiest way to test the setup is manually sending an e-mail through telnet, like (server answers omitted, but you will get feedback to this commands):
Code:
telnet mail.domain.tld 25
ehlo me.com
mail from: me@me.com
rcpt to: recipient@domain.tld
data
Subject: testing
Testing

Just look at the responses you get during the process (relay denied, whatever).

Awesome... mail.domain.tld is actually a remote Exchange server at a client site, but still, that would seem to be an equivalent setup... It's working perfectly now...

You are an absolute star - thanks for helping me so much with all this!!!!

Once again, many thanks!
I'll try not to bother you any more with this Wink

Jx
05-25-2009 07:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kilburn Offline
Development Team
Dev Team

No problem Smile

It has always amazed me how many things can go wrong in a mail setup, specially considering the little amount of config that needs to be done!
05-25-2009 08:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vetch101 Offline

(05-25-2009 08:03 PM)kilburn Wrote:  No problem Smile

It has always amazed me how many things can go wrong in a mail setup, specially considering the little amount of config that needs to be done!

Heh - well, me being a total noob when it comes to Postfix probably doesn't help Wink

Once again - thanks so much - you've really been awesome...

Jx
05-25-2009 08:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply