Current time: 04-19-2024, 05:53 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

XCache
alecksievici Offline
Beta Team

XCache
I just installed xchace on my server (debian lenny, ispcp build: 20090225).
Everything seems to be working fine but when i access the admin zone of xcache i see that it caches files only from /var/www/ispcp/gui

the xcache.ini is located at /etc/php5/conf.d/xcache.ini

my question is: do i have do copy those config variables into /etc/ispcp/fcgi/parts/php5/php.ini and regenerate config files or is there some other option?

Thanks,
Alex
05-09-2009 06:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ephigenie Offline
Project Leader
Administrators

RE: XCache
Yes, indeed.

Every Domain uses their own php.ini so the other instances don't know about the module and its config.
The php.ini will be regenerated if its not existant (so rename the actual ones i.e.) from parts/php5/php.ini if the domain status stands on "change" and you run the rqst-mngr.
05-09-2009 08:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
alecksievici Offline
Beta Team

here's a strange thing: i copied the xcache gui to every domain, left only /etc/php5/conf.d/xcache.ini as a configuration file for xcache and surprise: every file is being cached from every client without having to modify /var/www/fcgi/user.tld/php5/php.ini
05-09-2009 09:20 AM
kilburn Offline
Development Team
Dev Team

The strange thing is that it didn't work for every domain before (how did you check it?). Debian's php is told to load the files in /etc/php5/conf.d at compile time, so all php instances load this files on startup. You can see this in the phpinfo() output:
Code:
Scan this dir for additional .ini files     /etc/php5/cgi/conf.d

By the way, keep in mind that every fcgi server has to maintain it's own cache because they don't share any memory, so you should check if it brings a performance improvement or not (in my case the answer was "not").

Cheers!
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2009 07:19 PM by kilburn.)
05-09-2009 07:17 PM
alecksievici Offline
Beta Team

i think it did cache the files before, but i did not check correctly.
the xcache gui was located at /var/www/ispcp/gui so it showed only the files cached in the docroot (/var/www/ispcp/gui)
as i said before, i copied the xcache gui to every client and i saw that every file was being cached.
i didn't modify a thing in the php's configuration files after i installed xcache...

as for performace i can say that there is a slight improvement but that's an opinion based on seeing how fast the pages are being loaded not by using a benchmark

i could use ab (apache benchmark) to see the difference between loading times on a php based site but i don't know if ab test those kind o things (i'm not a linux expert)

the thing is that xcache works, there's no need to modify any files at all (maybe xcache.ini to suit your needs), all you have to do after installing it is to restart apache.

it's possible i'll post a mini howto but first i want to test xcache to see if it's really worth installing/keeping it, so you have any ideas how i could test it??

LE: i just tested apache with and without xcache and i am surprised. xcache does it's job freakin' awesome!
apache benchmark command: ab -n 1000 -c 5 http://domain.tld/
with xcache: time taken for tests ~ 60 seconds | requests per second ~ 16
without xcache: time taken for tests ~ 180 seconds | requests per second ~ 6

also without xcache the server load was going through the roof Sad
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2009 08:53 PM by alecksievici.)
05-09-2009 08:15 PM