Current time: 05-09-2024, 05:42 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

PTR Records
Nomis Offline

PTR Records
Hi

I have completed a installation of ispCP R1 on a server and have created a domain however when I try and register the domain the registrar tells me they can not complete the registration because the Reverse lookup or PTR records are not there or do not point to the correct IP.

Sorry new to all of this so it's greek to me.

Can any one help me. From the research I have done, it has to go in the named.conf file but but have no idea how to set it up. And I presume that any and all domains created will require PTR records. I see the zone files get generated automatically once you add a new domain. Is there a way to do this with the PTR records too..

Regards

Nomis
08-12-2009 06:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

RE: PTR Records
a PTR entry points from an ip address to the fqhn (Full Qualified Host Name) of the server.

Only the owner of an ip can create PTR records (or he can delegate this to the customer who uses theese ips) - but in any case you have to caontact your provider where your ispcp server is located or the provider who gives you the ip address for the ispcp server.

Please read a good documentation about dns.
At least http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_DNS_lookup and some links there...

The registrar wants maybe that the ip for the DNS for a domain should fully resolve

/J
08-12-2009 07:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply