Current time: 05-04-2024, 05:37 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Some services are DOWN, they matter?
avispa987 Offline
Dev Team

Some services are DOWN, they matter?
Hi there.. i had some services off! so I decided to start them and put them in auto start... (I installed ntsysv, yum install ntsysv, and then ran it.. and started the services) But.. i dont know what services are
DNS
POLICYD-WEIGHT
POSTGREY

I had lots of services down.. for example ispcp_daemon (ispcp daemon), vsftpd (i think this service is FTP) and Spamd (SPAMASSASIN). I dont know why they where down, but now they are online, my server is running CENTOS 5.2 with full updates... and i followed the guide in the wiki... if anyone can tellme if those three services are ok to be off i will thank you Smile.

Thanks in advance Big Grin
08-18-2009 12:24 AM
Find all posts by this user
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

RE: Some services are DOWN, they matter?
Well - if you run a server you should at least know what services the server should run - and which you are need aor don't need!
We can not tell you, which service you should run - just the ones you really need.

/J
08-18-2009 01:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
avispa987 Offline
Dev Team

(08-18-2009 01:15 AM)joximu Wrote:  Well - if you run a server you should at least know what services the server should run - and which you are need aor don't need!
We can not tell you, which service you should run - just the ones you really need.

/J

Im learning, i plan to use the server as my webhost. I really dont know if i have to turn them on or not and wich service are they =P. I will just use it as my personal webhost...
08-18-2009 09:22 AM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

If you do not write what you want to do with the server, we cannot give you any hint.

But there's help out there in the internet - if you use your favorite search engine to look for the service names then you may find very usefull results. Maybe you also start in wikipedia...

It's not related to this piece of software - except: service ispcp_daemon should run, otherwise you have to kick the request manager manually....
Normally ispcp uses proftpd and not vsftp, you can use spamd if you configure the box to use it (amavis, maia or in the procmail)...

/J
08-18-2009 04:40 PM
avispa987 Offline
Dev Team

thank you a lot, im doing a new fresh installation =)
if i had another question i will post here, thank a lot =).. please close the post
08-19-2009 02:32 AM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

[closing]
08-19-2009 07:41 AM
Thread Closed