Current time: 04-20-2024, 12:46 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Versioning Policy
petzsch Offline

RE: New Versioning Policy
I suggest you revoke this Release. I've got some trouble spots:

As i said: the Changelog is not updated.
All files still say 1.0.1.
The FTP Config on Debian Lenny is broken. The Module Includes are missing and the file is located in the wrong path (/etc/proftpd.conf). I've just tested it on 2 new machines and had to fix it by hand. Probably something wrong with the Makefile.
08-20-2009 07:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RatS Offline
Project Leader

You are right. The current 1.0.2 release is crap. I will see how I can fix it... until now there should not be a lot of downloads.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2009 07:55 AM by RatS.)
08-20-2009 07:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
petzsch Offline

As far as I can see the things mentioned above are the only trouble spots. I'll keep it for now on my 2 new production machines. Smile
08-20-2009 07:57 AM
kilburn Offline
Development Team
Dev Team

There are 797 members (wow!) on the announcement list, so the bad release may be widespread fast. I suggest removing it until ironing out the issues... You guys remember what happened with the last proftpd broken release, right? Wink
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2009 09:04 AM by kilburn.)
08-20-2009 09:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BioALIEN Offline
Public Relations Officer
Dev Team

I'm surprised the release wasn't tested prior to official release and the announcement. Maybe we need to brush up our internal release process some more.
08-20-2009 10:25 AM
gOOvER Offline
Banned

(08-20-2009 10:25 AM)BioALIEN Wrote:  I'm surprised the release wasn't tested prior to official release and the announcement. Maybe we need to brush up our internal release process some more.
You're welcome to help testing. Smile
08-20-2009 02:19 PM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

(08-20-2009 02:19 PM)gOOvER Wrote:  
(08-20-2009 10:25 AM)BioALIEN Wrote:  I'm surprised the release wasn't tested prior to official release and the announcement. Maybe we need to brush up our internal release process some more.
You're welcome to help testing. Smile

It's sort of difficult - we had > 5 months of working on th 1.0.1 (with this or that feature). Then in a few days we decide to use another versioning policy. An whoops - a 1.0.1 is released and 2 minutes later a 1.0.2.

I think this is not the way it should go. At least something like: guys, could you please test the actual trunk, we should release - then this setup failures are found and can be corrected.

We often saw that the trunk is not always functioning - and we don't have capacities to test the trunk every day.

/J

upd: and hey - it's not fair to move the work to the forum people helping to get this version running on the peoples maschines....
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2009 05:00 PM by joximu.)
08-20-2009 04:58 PM
RatS Offline
Project Leader

You all misinterpret it: 1.0.1/1.0.2 is a bugfix release based on old 1.0.0 ... at no time anyone complained, that 1.0.0 is not installable on Debian lenny ... and it was not for quite a long time. We had to release fast, because of the vulnerability in SquirrelMail. No time for big testings. If you want to change the process to a better and more save one: let me know.

And in the end we don't have any QA now, however the RM needs a QM at his side.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2009 05:20 PM by RatS.)
08-20-2009 05:20 PM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

Ok, I did misinterpret - I though 1.0.2 was build on the last trunk. Sorry.

Well, we saw several proftpd issues on lenny - but I could not check if the bug is in the software or at the keyboard...

Of course - the squirrel-thing is important (as all security issues) - we could save time by creating a variant where the ispcp admins can just update the external programs by themselve (update x: get latest release, unpack it in the folder x_new, copy the ispcp configs/themes to it [maybe get the newest themes from ispcp-online], rename x to x_old and x_new to x - or something like this).
I think this would save us theese "no time to test"-releases...

Or just release a patch (why risk a faulty update mechanism if a patch would be faster and easier).

Cheers Joxi
08-20-2009 05:59 PM
RatS Offline
Project Leader

Three days ago I released a Squirrelmail Hotfix, but the community asked me not to do the same mistakes like VHCS and never integrate the patch into a bugfix version. Therefore I released a bugfix version... I don't know, why it was not as up to date as it should be, but I try to find out at the moment and take the time to fix these issues now. Meanwhile the download won't be available and I will recreate the announcement via list later this day.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2009 06:05 PM by RatS.)
08-20-2009 06:04 PM