Current time: 04-16-2024, 07:52 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A *very* general question
brasscannon Offline

A *very* general question
I've got ispCP rc1.0rc2 running under Ubuntu Dapper (LTS Server version) without too many false steps, which is a tribute to the skill of the development team. There are still a few puzzling things, though.

First, what is the ispCP daemon? Since the web interface comes up and seems to work perfectly fine when it is not running at all, I am puzzled as to what purpose it serves.

On an even more general note, has anyone written up a description of what ispCP *itself* is? All of the chat about VHCS and whether ispCP is a true and worthy successor misses an important point -- as I have never used VHCS, saying that ispCP is "like" VHCS doesn't tell me anything! I am new here and I mean no disrespect; I hope it does not upset anyone if I suggest your work can and should now stand on its own merits. That includes having an introduction document that does not take anything for granted.

I'm looking at alternatives to cPanel for someone who wants to provide virtual hosting and allow his customers to do as much self-help and configuration as possible. This sort of automation is essential to growing a hosting business beyond a very small size. I "get" that ispCP will be a very good tool for that, but I'm a little fuzzy on the details of what it provides and what other tools an ISP owner will need.

For instance, I've also looked at Freeside, as it would also be nice to have the ability to ask people to pay for services as they request them... but that is another topic. Wink
06-17-2007 11:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

RE: A *very* general question
a) The daemon makes the changes on the system which have been written to the databases (create a new user, etc etc) - the gui cannot do all system specific tasks.

the remaining) yes we should update the documentations, maybe also do some comparison betwenn other control panels and ispcp omega. For me: bringing the 1.0 to a start is more important at the moment.

Cheers J
06-17-2007 07:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
raphael Offline

joximu Wrote:a) The daemon makes the changes on the system which have been written to the databases (create a new user, etc etc) - the gui cannot do all system specific tasks.
Actually the daemon only calls the engine scripts Big Grin
06-18-2007 04:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

ok raphael
but I wasn't thaaaaaaaaaaaat far away... :-)
06-18-2007 04:34 AM
brasscannon Offline

So you have "engine" scripts that actually update system files, a daemon to call them as needed, and a GUI that updates the database and tells the daemon what to do.

That was painless!
06-18-2007 07:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
raphael Offline

lol

I hope it won't be the same way for 1.1.0
06-18-2007 10:02 AM