Current time: 04-19-2024, 07:58 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Which PHP version do you use?
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Which PHP version do you use?
raphael Offline

Which PHP version do you use?
Now that you can choose between PHP4 and PHP5 at install time, which version do you use?

With the poll results I will see if it worths to create the php4 versions of the extensions I'm already maintaining for Debian
NOTE: php5-adodb, php5-ffmpeg and kgb are already going to enter the official Debian repositories soon (see).
06-23-2007 02:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BioALIEN Offline
Public Relations Officer
Dev Team

RE: Which PHP version do you use?
To be honest, I think we should only concentrate on php5 and leave php4 for the experienced users who can debug and try to resolve themself. The web is advancing at a rapid pace and PHP6 will be released soon. I think we should work to get php5 support perfected and ensure the panel works smooth with it, till php6 is out.

AFAIK, this is how Ubuntu, Drupal and other popular open-source software projects are constructed.
06-23-2007 02:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
raphael Offline

BioALIEN Wrote:To be honest, I think we should only concentrate on php5 and leave php4 for the experienced users who can debug and try to resolve themself. The web is advancing at a rapid pace and PHP6 will be released soon. I think we should work to get php5 support perfected and ensure the panel works smooth with it, till php6 is out.
The panel itself works fine PHP5. Version 1.1.0 will probably drop support for PHP4 (at least for the gui)

BioALIEN Wrote:AFAIK, this is how Ubuntu, Drupal and other popular open-source software projects are constructed.
Personally I don't consider Ubuntu a good distribution. It is only a mix of these and those packages; and sometimes they are bogus or simply the original packages (at Debian) aren't available in testing because they have RC bugs and other stuff.
I like Ubuntu's project idea: release soon and give the user what they want. But I don't like the way they do it.
06-23-2007 02:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BioALIEN Offline
Public Relations Officer
Dev Team

Ubuntu is the only distro that installs on my VPC. Debian installed ok, but I had weird problems with the internet connection. It keeps timing out after 10 secs. Very weird!
06-23-2007 08:57 AM
raphael Offline

Ever asked at irc.debian.org/#debian ? Wink
06-23-2007 10:36 AM
Zothos Offline
Release Manager
Dev Team

i would prefer php5 as a default Tongue. Althought php4 is needed by some old scripts, the most out there should work correctly with php5. And thats the way it goes. php6 is on the way, so way dont get rid of php4 even for the backend. Tongue
06-23-2007 04:47 PM
raphael Offline

php6: you should wait at least half a year when it is released, you will see all the bugs that comes together with Wink
06-24-2007 09:54 AM
raphael Offline

Just bumping....

did anyone already try php-htscanner? I'll try to package the existing extensions for etch's php5
06-27-2007 02:36 AM
adigit Offline

prefer PHP5 to be default and better provide a "how-to" to change from php4-cgi to php5-cgi
07-11-2007 07:18 PM
Ryuuku Offline

PHP 5 for IspCP & eGroupWare Wink
07-11-2007 07:59 PM