Current time: 04-20-2024, 01:32 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Whats Needed for install
huss Offline

Whats Needed for install
Hi guys I've been looking for the ideal control panel, a free equivilant to cPanel that to setup on a debian 5.0 lenny server, so that I may create my first website and host it from home. ideally I would like a website were customers would have to register to my site, and have some sort of ticket system where customers can place orders send support tickets, make payments etc.
From what Ive read I think ispCP an answer to my needs, and I just wanted to know what sort of debian setup would I need to install ispCP on. like would I need to setup a debian LAMP server and then install ispCP or would I need a different setup.
Ideally a tutorial that covers the setup from scratch would be great, but if not then advise on what's needed would help too...

Thanks in advance
huss
01-05-2010 03:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Smallserver Offline

RE: Whats Needed for install
(01-05-2010 03:07 AM)huss Wrote:  From what Ive read I think ispCP an answer to my needs, and I just wanted to know what sort of debian setup would I need to install ispCP on. like would I need to setup a debian LAMP server and then install ispCP or would I need a different setup.
huss

Just install the Debian base system, and then do the ispCP install. Everything you need will be installed automaticly.

Herman
01-05-2010 05:05 AM
motokochan Offline

Most every distribution has an install document included in the archive you download, and a guide on our documentation site. Simply follow that guide to get your install running.
01-05-2010 05:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
huss Offline

Hi guys thanks for the info I think ispCP is a keeper, I have a few more question which I hope you dnt mind Smile
Im pretty much a beginner in the website industry and I appreciated your patience

what I want to use ispCP for is to manage my domain / subdomains and host my websites etc, will I need to setup my server as vitual servers, 1 VPS having the admin interface and then the 2nd vps having the user interface, or would I be able to host my website from the admin interface on its own.

also ideally I would like to have applications setup for example, atm Im using a hosting company which offers cPanel and I have tools such as website templates, website builder 1 click install website restore, setup email accounts, webmail account etc.
I also want to setup some sort of ticket system where were customers can click on a product and it will lead them to a I guess checkout where they can make payments.

The aim of this project is to move away from the company that hosts my site and setup my own at home. I had a play with all 3 versions [admin, reseller, user] which one of the 3 would be best suited to meet my needs.

Thank you for all the help,
01-05-2010 02:19 PM
motokochan Offline

(01-05-2010 02:19 PM)huss Wrote:  what I want to use ispCP for is to manage my domain / subdomains and host my websites etc, will I need to setup my server as vitual servers, 1 VPS having the admin interface and then the 2nd vps having the user interface, or would I be able to host my website from the admin interface on its own.

Although you can break up functions across servers, it's not an officially supported configuration. ispCP Omega is designed to run on one server with all services running on that single server.

(01-05-2010 02:19 PM)huss Wrote:  also ideally I would like to have applications setup for example, atm Im using a hosting company which offers cPanel and I have tools such as website templates, website builder 1 click install website restore, setup email accounts, webmail account etc.

There is a contributed application installer over in the Enchancements board. I don't have any experience with it, so I can't offer an opinion.

(01-05-2010 02:19 PM)huss Wrote:  I also want to setup some sort of ticket system where were customers can click on a product and it will lead them to a I guess checkout where they can make payments.

icpCP Omega does have a package order interface, but there isn't any kind of billing module built in. There is a commercial (meaning you will need to purchase it from the creator) billing integration module, also in the Enhancements board.

(01-05-2010 02:19 PM)huss Wrote:  The aim of this project is to move away from the company that hosts my site and setup my own at home. I had a play with all 3 versions [admin, reseller, user] which one of the 3 would be best suited to meet my needs.

If this is just for you, you probably won't need billing or application installer (most of those installers are worse than manually installing the application yourself).

Also, make sure your connection is a "business" connection if you'll be running it out of your home. Most ISPs forbid servers on residential connections, and you'll get your service canceled if they discover it. In addition, most incoming server ports are blocked by ISPs on residential connections, so you couldn't run a server normally anyway.

Not sure what you are asking about versions.
01-05-2010 03:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply