Current time: 10-05-2024, 09:33 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Need your advise for new Server setup
2471 Offline

RE: Need your advise for new Server setup
First off use Xen for virtualization.

I've been a commercial host since 1997 and been running all my customers on Xen since 2005 without problems and that includes many Asterisk PBX Servers, Xen's performance is second to none.

What you are attempting to do is overkill even for large hosting businesses.

Depending on what you are hosting I would consider setting up less powerful white box systems, amd dual cores with 4 GB ram for example and colo them in different datacenters. Your primary datacenter should be a top notch provider on premium bandwidth, your slaves can be well built and managed centers with cogent.

Now you have real redundancy, spreading your customers over many boxes will save you alot of headaches. When your box goes down, do you want all your customers calling you at once, or just the customers on that box...think about it?

You can build amd dual cores for 400.00 a piece right now or less, at that cost you replace them every 24 to 36 months and keep your equipment new. Now you have redundancy at major savings.

Buying 10,000.00 dollar servers is crazy, they grow obsolete and you never get your money back unless you are doing specialty hosting for big bucks or are a corporation being taken for a financial ride by your IT people.

I run a large hosting business on asus motherboard, 4 GB boxes and my customers don't even know what downtime is. Picking your colo/bandwidth providers is more important than expensive hardware and failover systems...I'm not saying you shouldn't have them in place for disaster.
11-18-2007 12:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Need your advise for new Server setup - 2471 - 11-18-2007 12:41 AM