Current time: 04-18-2024, 11:52 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Whats happening here ?
ephigenie Offline
Project Leader
Administrators

RE: Whats happening here ?
yeah i was really angry yesterday evening - because i was talking with rats in skype some minutes ago - and he didn't mentioned that he thought about rebuilding the board - or that zothos wanted to do that.

Now I calmed down a bit. Rats has Supermoderator again. Zothos stays normal user for now. We're not a playground to experiment with board software - if there's someone who doesn't know the software than he should leave things to those who know what to do.

It seems we've a serious lack of Communication. We need to solve that.
In the end we all want the same (doing our best to support the project and let it grow and have a really nice and error-free piece of software )

One more tragic thing is in the end that i found out that my daily reoback backup isn't working since 1,5 month Sad (altough its running all night - and generating lots of traffic)

So - lets say things can only go better - we definetely need to talk more.
Yeah and pls - if someone has "great ideas" about the board then pls talk with me, too.
09-04-2007 08:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
BeNe Offline
Moderators

Quote:yeah i was really angry yesterday evening - because i was talking with rats in skype some minutes ago - and he didn't mentioned that he thought about rebuilding the board - or that zothos wanted to do that.

Now I calmed down a bit. Rats has Supermoderator again. Zothos stays normal user for now. We're not a playground to experiment with board software - if there's someone who doesn't know the software than he should leave things to those who know what to do.

It seems we've a serious lack of Communication. We need to solve that.
In the end we all want the same (doing our best to support the project and let it grow and have a really nice and error-free piece of software )

One more tragic thing is in the end that i found out that my daily reoback backup isn't working since 1,5 month Sad (altough its running all night - and generating lots of traffic)

So - lets say things can only go better - we definetely need to talk more.
Yeah and pls - if someone has "great ideas" about the board then pls talk with me, too.

I did not saw your Post ?! Only i reply mode...

Greez BeNe
09-04-2007 09:00 PM
BeNe Offline
Moderators

Quote:It seems we've a serious lack of Communication. We need to solve that.
My words - time to work on this Problem.

Quote:One more tragic thing is in the end that i found out that my daily reoback backup isn't working since 1,5 month Sad (altough its running all night - and generating lots of traffic)
I hope you can fix it.

Quote:Yeah and pls - if someone has "great ideas" about the board then pls talk with me, too.
Ok - this is also one step about the communication problem.

Greez BeNe
09-04-2007 09:27 PM
BioALIEN Offline
Public Relations Officer
Dev Team

What was the reason for playing with the board software? :S

Maybe switch to the new phpBB 3 once it hits Gold and it could cure the 500 errors and also allow Rats or Zothos to have whatever it is they wanted the board to do. All in all, I think we need to look at existing successful open source projects and see how they manage these intra-team issues as well as development approach.

A good example that comes to mind is Drupal. One or two main guys who have overall control. Then one leader per branch. A new and final release every 1 year. But the development HEAD is always constant and changing. I was even thinking of suggesting Drupal itself as the software to power the frontend of ispCP? It's modular, secure, commented code and quick to develop for. The perfect tool to help Raphael to carry out his work FAST? That way, we can shift some of the load as we are not reinventing the wheel.

Another solution is to define absolute and final development roadmaps and assign key dates for when a code freeze is hit and how long to fix bugs. And work your way backwards from the deadline. Ubuntu, Fedora etc seem to be very successful using this method. It also helps the entire community get involved as they know the short time involved in each phase before it's out.

Just my .02 Smile
09-05-2007 02:38 AM
Find all posts by this user
gOOvER Offline
Banned

why you not create an extra Forum for the Webpage and the Forum. So we can post things about it and discuss about the Website and the Forum. And a little hole in the communication will be closed.
09-05-2007 02:55 AM
RatS Offline
Project Leader

I'm very sorry about what happened yesterday. As I already mentioned to ephigenie, I was not aware of when Zothos is doing what. He told me his idea and I agreed. No one could imagine what would happen.
That there was no back-up hurts. However, I believe that there are only a few (less than 10%) of posts missing that were important.
There is no reason why I should break up with ephigenie in leading this project and I guess there is no reason for him to break up with me.

Please forgive me/us the fault and look forward. The reason why I edited ephigenie's post was, that it's not okay, to blame one if you're in rage. It'll always poisons the mood.

P.S.: I'll be away for a couple of days for preparing for exam. See you, soon!
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2007 08:17 AM by RatS.)
09-05-2007 05:47 AM
BeNe Offline
Moderators

What should i say - shit happens! Rolleyes
Nobody want that this story here breaks anything in the Project.
I hope that everybody learned with it.

So we all start to write the lost imported Post again and do it better than the first time.
Let us all stay in Peace and bring ispCP to one of the best Control Panels.

Good look for your Exam.

Greez BeNe
09-05-2007 06:00 AM
raphael Offline

Whatever, if somebody did something, they gotta accept it, and its consequences

Quote:ew phpBB 3 once it hits Gold and it could cure the 500 errors
the 500 errors are caused by other reasons, it's not about the board system itself
09-05-2007 06:08 AM
MicCo Offline
Moderators

O'boy !

Quote:Maybe switch to the new phpBB 3 once it hits Gold and it could cure the 500 errors

Nope, MyBB are an okay solution, and the 500 errors have nothing to do with the board, but an server error that just gives an result of an request.

Quote:A good example that comes to mind is Drupal.

Nope, What we are using now is just fine, for the website and it's working.

Quote:why you not create an extra Forum for the Webpage and the Forum

Nope, there are forums enough for now, and I must say, there are allready enough loos ends, threads that never should have been made, due to their comment or questions allready was/are handled in other threads.

- Why don't we stop using our time on all this rework.
- Why use time on even think about change the Forum board to another.
- Why use time on changing the website, it's suits it's meens.

If any thing's needed, then it have to be posting rules, so that threads, posts etc., can be moved/replaced, as it's now, the whole forum are an mess of importen info and a lot of score-posts which only takes up space, e.g an whole scrool-down page of an quote, ending with " I think so too......".

Let me make this suggestion, close this thread, as the subject are cleared.
09-05-2007 04:48 PM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

[++]

A job for someone without coding skills:
find the importand posts and put them into the wiki...

/J
09-05-2007 06:09 PM
Thread Closed