Current time: 04-16-2024, 05:03 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Website local, mailserver external
hendry Offline

Sad Website local, mailserver external
A question: I have more domains running on my latest stable ispCP server (etch). For one of my domains the website is running local, but the mailserver is not Postfix, but an external Exchange server.

Problem is now when somebody is mailing from an other domain to the domain with the exchange server Postfix bouncing the message because the receiving emailaddress is not in the virtual tables.

Is there a setting that I can do to let the ispCP server know that when receiving a message for a user for the Exchange domain it has to be forwarded or is this something to be arranged in the Postfix configuration? If so, how can I do this?
09-06-2007 12:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MicCo Offline
Moderators

RE: Website local, mailserver external
Hmmm, I think that your email.domain.tld shall point to the IP of the Exchange server, like if it's externale virus-testing. Setting shall proberly be made in your DNS.
09-06-2007 01:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hendry Offline

MicCo Wrote:Hmmm, I think that your email.domain.tld shall point to the IP of the Exchange server, like if it's externale virus-testing. Setting shall proberly be made in your DNS.
My dns for the domain is hosted externely and there are mx records pointing to the right server. Do I also have to do this in the dns server of my ispCP server? And if so, can I do this in ispCP interface or somewere else? Can you tell me how this is done?
09-06-2007 02:43 AM
rsmithgs Offline

hendry Wrote:
MicCo Wrote:Hmmm, I think that your email.domain.tld shall point to the IP of the Exchange server, like if it's externale virus-testing. Setting shall proberly be made in your DNS.
My dns for the domain is hosted externely and there are mx records pointing to the right server. Do I also have to do this in the dns server of my ispCP server? And if so, can I do this in ispCP interface or somewere else? Can you tell me how this is done?

Hendry,

Sounds like the dns records on the local server though I'm not sure that if you change these manually ISPCP Omega wont overright next time a domain is created.

If you choose not to go down the dns route I think there is a way to configure postfix to relay certain domain email to another Mail Server

Edit : Found this http://www.knowplace.org/pages/howtos/sm...ostfix.php may help you configure postfix to relay email for a particular domain to another server
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2007 04:29 AM by rsmithgs.)
09-06-2007 04:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hendry Offline

Hmm.. thanx.. I tried to add a relay_domains to the main.cf, but after doing that I cannot send mail anymore Sad . Any idea where to implement something like that?
09-06-2007 05:37 AM
rsmithgs Offline

hendry Wrote:Hmm.. thanx.. I tried to add a relay_domains to the main.cf, but after doing that I cannot send mail anymore Sad . Any idea where to implement something like that?
I would have to replicate the senario to advise, I will see if I can over the next couple of days.

Then might make a useful Wiki lol
09-06-2007 05:47 AM
ephigenie Offline
Project Leader
Administrators

don't worry anymore about that - help is in sight Wink
09-06-2007 05:50 AM
rsmithgs Offline

ephigenie Wrote:don't worry anymore about that - help is in sight Wink

In the form of? lol
09-06-2007 05:51 AM
hendry Offline

Hahaha, thank you for the help in advance!
09-07-2007 04:47 AM
MicCo Offline
Moderators

hendry Wrote:Hmm.. thanx.. I tried to add a relay_domains to the main.cf, but after doing that I cannot send mail anymore Sad . Any idea where to implement something like that?

Hi I know that ephigenie wrote that the problem soon will be solved, but just to tell you how we solve this kind of problems.

1. An customer of ours, an medicalcompany, with many employees and with each e-mail, have been spammed a lot due to wrong handling of e-mail addresses by webmaster at website (he made a list), their e-mail addresses are of old age, knowend by many in that businness, so they didn't want to change them.

2. They use an externale mail-scanner, virus112.com, which are using the following scanner-domains, scanner1.virus112.com, scanner2.virus112.com and scanner3.virus112.dk.

3. At the external DNS-service as we also use, we have set the following MX:
domain.tld scanner1.virus112.com 10

domain.tld scanner2.virus112.com 20

domain.tld scanner3.virus112.dk 30

- and a A-record as : mail.domain.tld your-server-IP.

And it works 100%.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2007 09:48 PM by MicCo.)
09-07-2007 09:46 PM