Current time: 04-18-2024, 11:32 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How about new RC?
monotek Offline

How about new RC?
I think it would be a good idea to release RC3 now and switch current open tickets to RC4.

Otherwise it seems things dont come to an end even thoug there is mouch work in progress...
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2007 07:42 AM by monotek.)
09-09-2007 07:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rsmithgs Offline

RE: How about new RC?
monotek Wrote:I think it would be a good idea to release RC3 now and switch current open tickets to RC4.

Otherwise it seems things dont come to an end even thoug there is mouch work in progress...
Each to there own but I personally wouldn't be for this action. I don't see inserting another RC would speed up a stable release.

I believe the current tickets should be fixed before the next RC
09-10-2007 12:20 AM
rbtux Offline
Moderators

I'd really like to see a stable cp soon ...but it's done when it's done...

A additional RC would take some time which should be used for fixing the known bugs...

Thats just my humble opinion
09-10-2007 12:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BeNe Offline
Moderators

Make no sense to me!
The people outside here can check the Timeline, Roudmap and Forum about the activity. There are some Tickets to close before the next RC is ready.
No one would like a very fast but buggy development.

If you want to test it - take all look at my Demo or try a NightlySnapshot on your own Server.

Greez BeNe
09-10-2007 05:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
monotek Offline

A RC release is not meant to be stable.

Software (trade as a whole) always will have some bugs.

If you think waiting to close all bugs is usefull you will be wrong.

If no new RC will be made, new bugs should moved to next release anyway.

Otherwise it will take to long to fix the main tasks (vhcs converter etc) because you delay on fixing thousands smaller bugs.

If you look to the bug tracker/roadmap you will will recognize that the main tasks dont were updated for a long time because the small bugs gets all the manpower.

Just my 2 cents.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2007 01:46 AM by monotek.)
09-11-2007 01:45 AM
rsmithgs Offline

just to help me understand your point of view monotek, why do you think RC3 should be launched now and there should be an RC4 before stable?
09-11-2007 01:48 AM
BioALIEN Offline
Public Relations Officer
Dev Team

I don't advise in releasing RC3 for the sake of it. Please only release RC3 by fixing the 2 or 3 main issues (AWStats and Migration script) that appear to be holding it back for many months. Nailing these three bugs and getting RC3 out the door will help revive this project a little. It makes my job easier promoting ispCP and spreading the word. This brings new visitors and more people to potentially help out. This in turn, injects new blood and new energy and moves the project forwards.

The idea put forward also helps correct the time estimates on the roadmap to be more accurate and in-line with people's expectations. It may work better for us as a community to get into a habit of short small deadlines & releases that we try to meet. At the moment, RC3 is showing as 4 months behind. I know this is not a concrete date, but it reveals a certain weakness in the planning involved or the task at hand. It could be a case of setting realistic targets or development schedules.

That's my philosophy. Please don't take it as an insult and it's by no means the only way to do things.
09-11-2007 02:17 AM
monotek Offline

rsmithgs Wrote:just to help me understand your point of view monotek, why do you think RC3 should be launched now and there should be an RC4 before stable?

At the moment it seems to me that every day the whole manpower is used for fixing alle the small bugs, that are created every day. Therefore the main tasks seems to fall by the wayside.

Maybe its not necessary to make a new RC but all the small and also new bugs should moved to the release after RC3 (however named) so the developpers have time to concentrate on the main tasks.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2007 04:05 AM by monotek.)
09-11-2007 04:01 AM
rsmithgs Offline

monotek Wrote:
rsmithgs Wrote:just to help me understand your point of view monotek, why do you think RC3 should be launched now and there should be an RC4 before stable?

At the moment it seems to me that every day the whole manpower is used for fixing alle the small bugs, that are created every day. Therefore the main tasks seems to fall by the wayside.

Maybe its not necessary to make a new RC but all the small and also new bugs should moved to the release after RC3 (however named) so the developpers have time to concentrate on the main tasks.

Surely with your suggestion the problems are just been put off, they will still need to be fixed?

Are we in a change freeze at the moment?
09-11-2007 05:02 PM
monotek Offline

3 days ago there was 15 active tickets in the roadmap.

Now there are 18 active tickets. Why are new tickets not moved to next release?

Imho this unnecessary slows down development.

Little by little this reminds me more and more of the old vhcs project. Isnt faster development (release new versions more often) one of the points why isp-control was founded?
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2007 09:46 PM by monotek.)
09-13-2007 09:39 PM