Current time: 04-18-2024, 11:28 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

POP3 Not Working
Largo Offline

POP3 Not Working
Ok I use thunderbird and seamonkey's built in mail program and both of them give me a pop3 error they don't specify the error only that it doesn't work. I'm not sure where to find the logs, but i really need pop3 to work, can you help me with this?
08-01-2011 05:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

RE: POP3 Not Working
/var/log/mail.*

/J
08-02-2011 10:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Largo Offline

Alright i've looked through the mail.* files and tried in thunderbird as well and near far as i can tell apparently when i use the proper creditials to login using pop3 for email it gives me an incorrect username and or password error. I know what the darn password is, but the logs aren't giving me anything to go by. All i see in any of the log files are the imap logins and the smtp entries. This is getting very frustrating.
08-05-2011 04:15 PM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

ok, the username is always the complete mail address (info@domain.tld) - the password should be the one you entered in the ispcp panel when creating the mailbox...

What OS/distribution do you have? Default ispcp configuration? so it's courier-pop which seems not to work?
IMAP does work (webmail)...

/J
08-05-2011 07:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ServerQuack Offline

I use Thunderbird as well, have been for quite some years now. For some reason I can never get imap to work correctly for me, so I'm always using the POP3 and SMTP settings as well. As joximu already indicated, you need the full account name in your thunderbird account settings as well as the password that you created for that account within the ispCP control panel.

What you should also create in thunderbird for each email account, is the smtp server setting.

Go to edit, then account settings in your file menu at the top. All the way at the bottom, under the accounts, you should see something for the outgoing smtp server. That's where the outgoing settings for each email account are located. You don't need a description but you do need to have the mails server set up. Usually that's something like mail.whateveryourdomainis.com

You also need to have your complete email user name at the bottom.
This would be your complete email address.
I also use the setting for ... Password transmitted insecurely.
The port should be set to 25.

Remember, that's for regular POP3 emails and not imap servers. Good luck, and I hope this helps.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2011 03:13 AM by ServerQuack.)
08-06-2011 03:08 AM
Largo Offline

Yes IMAP via webmail and thunderbird work just fine, it's Pop3 does not work and yes i am using the full email address as the username and it still gives me the error. I am running Debian 5 Lenny with a fresh install of ispcp omega 1.0.7

I have tried to telnet to the server from my home computer using port 110 but i get a error 10061 so there's got to be something wrong with the configuration. When i use putty to ssh into the server and run telnet there it works just fine from inside the server. Outside it doesn't work at all. This is all very confusing for me as this isn't just affected on one domain it's affecting all of my domains I have.
08-06-2011 08:54 AM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

Hi Largo
so telnet works on localhost but not on the external ip address - correct?

So either there's a ip filter installed or pop does not listen on the external ip address (don't know why) - or you have the server behind a nat router and did not forward port 110...
Try telnetting on port 110 to the external ip address... (from the server).

Can you post some lines from mail.info from the time you tested the port?

/J
btw @ServerQuack:

Port for SMTP should be 587 - Port 25 does work also but more and more ISP use port 587 for customer SMTP and Port 25 for MX->MX SMTP....

/J
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2011 10:11 AM by joximu.)
08-06-2011 10:09 AM
Largo Offline

Ok i've checked and maybe this has something to do with it. I looked and apparently in Server Status pop3-ssl is down while imap and imap-ssl is up. Could turning pop3-ssl on fix the mail problem?

Also i've been able to copy the error from trying to telnet from my pc to the server and this is the error i get.

-ERR Cannot connect to POP server XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX (XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:995), connect error 10061

Can't find any lines in mail.info pertaining to pop3 connections.
08-06-2011 06:05 PM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

pop3 = Port 110
pop3s (pop3-ssl) = Port 995

Normally (debian standard) you install courier-pop3 and separately the courier-pop3-ssl service.

Telnetting works better on Port 110, you can change between 110 and 995 (w/o SSL or with SSL) later in thunderbird. But at least the corresponding services need to run....

/J
08-06-2011 06:50 PM
Largo Offline

Reinstalled everything on a different vps running Lenny and everything works fine. Except AMaVis, POP3-SSL, and SPAMASSASSIN. But I am guessing they are down for a reason. Smile
09-17-2011 09:13 AM