Current time: 04-26-2024, 11:16 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

[HELP] Installation and some questions for Debian.
newbiehost Offline

[HELP] Installation and some questions for Debian.
Hello!

I have been creating websites in PHP for quite some time now and I've always used windows with wamp and decided to finally switch over to linux on my second computer to use it as a server for my websites.

I don't really understand how things work in the Linux OS interface and strangly enough, I'm having a hard time learning / finding usable information, the open-source veterans expect one to know everything already.

I am runing the latest Debian version that I just installed on my computer and I would like to have some web host control panel and I found this one searching on the web. Having downloaded it, I had no idea what to do since there's no executable~ file as in Windows etc.

Does anyone have a user friendly guide on how to install and set-up ispCP on Debian for a linux newbie? I would appreciate it alot!

PS: Also I was wondering if I will have to install something like LAMPP in order to manage my sites or does ispCP include everything neccessary? What I need is phpmyadmin, some way to manage different domains for different sites, ftp and mail. Thanks ! Shy
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2011 03:07 PM by newbiehost.)
09-14-2011 03:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

RE: [HELP] Installation and some questions for Debian.
Hi newbiehost

ok, so you downloaded a .7z oder a .tgz or a .tar.bz2 file?

You need to extract the content first (it's very like to a zip file which is common under windows). If you use the .tgz (=tar.gz) file then it's sure that the extract mechanisms are installed in a almost bare Debian:

tar xvzf file.tgz

will make a folder with the content in it...

Then you will finde the install manual in docs/Debian/INSTALL

Here's a copy of it:
http://isp-control.net/ispcp/browser/tru...an/INSTALL

Read from beginning.
With step 4 we start with the extraction...

4) Installation
54 ---------------
55 Make sure you are logged in as root and MySQL is running.
57 1. Untar or unzip the distribution files to a secure directory:
58 # cd /usr/local/src
59 # tar xjvf ispcp-omega-1.1.0.tar.bz2

you have to add the unwritten things: the downloaded file needs to be in /usr/local/src - but frankly speaking - it's not important where you extract the files... :-)

I recommend the absolutely bare Debian installation (maybe only "SSH Server" when asked during Debian setup)... but it also works if you installed a default or even Grafical thing...

MySQL is installed at least with step 3 - so after this step it should run...

Pleas start with this and ask here when a problem arises...

/J
09-14-2011 04:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply