Current time: 07-01-2024, 11:48 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

To many RC releases and non fix for old bugs
GuS Offline

To many RC releases and non fix for old bugs
Hi,

I wanted to write here things i told once to main developers:

First, if you develop an app that the installation supports to use Others distros than Debian (example, Ubuntu, etc.) you should take care to repair some mistakes you made.
The other day i was teaching at the Univ., and the main class that day was installing ISPcp on a Ubuntu latest server. So, things are missing, like templates from bind (which i fix copying from the debian bind templates folder), another is the php4 support which is DEPRECATED since some time by now (cause has no more support from PHP)... and in case of Ubuntu, only PHP5 exist. So, the list of packages in Ubuntu should be updated.
Another things is, trying to avoid the sh-dash scripting problem, since always i must change the symlink of sh to bash (remember that in Ubuntu, sh is linked to dash)...
And some others stuff that I will take note more next time, that I've fixed during the installation.

So is very disturbing seeing that many RC release comes out and since the beta stage of the app these problems still exist.

I know that ISPcp has not many developers (I already talked that with "R@ts" once) but if, like i said, you support others distro, you should take care it a little more.

Nothing more to say that is a great app ISPcp which has a nice improvement since VHCS...

Cheers.
10-23-2007 02:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

RE: To many RC releases and non fix for old bugs
Hi GuS - I remember your post some months ago... sort of positive critic... :-)

The problem - as of my point of view - is: the main development takes place - as you mentioned - on debian (etch). There are some helpers/testers around for other distros but the main devs are supposed to find solutions or at least create a patch for the several distro-tickets (location of proftpd.conf, default shell and other differences).

I'm sure we could solve the distro problem in a different way (than different makefiles and different config file trees) but since ispCP is based on vhcs and there are not to many devs we have to live with this constellation...
Maybe we could find a better way in splitting the developent from the adoption to different distros... - just a proposal.
And then your help would be welcome to find all tricks for ubuntu.

BTW: ubuntu 6.06 server LTS is supported by ubuntu until 2011 - including PHP4 - and there, /bin/sh is linked to /bin/bash - but /etc/debian_version does not really tell which ubuntu version is running... - you see, there are many problems to be solved.

Cheers Joximu
10-23-2007 05:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GuS Offline

Thanks for your reply Joximu,

Matter of Ubuntu, i going to tell you that VHCS latest version works perfect on that distro... and no problems on installation like ISPcp has.
I do not use VHCS cause the lack of OpenSource ethic that it has. And of course cause i do not share how the man developer of that app thinks.
Is why i use ISPcp these days.

I can offer my help for Ubuntu support but i am already involved in many Free Software projects (including my own, opencoffee.lnxteam.org). So my times have limits.

But i got your point. So.. maybe in some near future i will available to help.

Just those are (at least for Ubuntu users) knowns bug for some time by now...

Cheers.
10-23-2007 08:27 AM
raphael Offline

GuS: RC2c is old and bogus, do you mind trying latest trunk instead? Smile
Almost everything seems to be fixed (altough I keep wondering why rats reverted my double [ to single [ in the make files which prevents them from working correctly in some distros)
10-23-2007 10:30 AM
GuS Offline

raphael Wrote:GuS: RC2c is old and bogus, do you mind trying latest trunk instead? Smile
Almost everything seems to be fixed (altough I keep wondering why rats reverted my double [ to single [ in the make files which prevents them from working correctly in some distros)

Ok, i will take a look later...
Does the Upgrade documentation in the wiki could work for upgrading another RC release to latest trunk?

Cheers.
10-23-2007 11:31 AM
BeNe Offline
Moderators

Quote:Does the Upgrade documentation in the wiki could work for upgrading another RC release to latest trunk?
No! Because in this documentation is only the GUI and Engine copyied.
The Problem is that all the things which run during the setup is missing.
Like the configs, templates, Cron entry´s and so on.
There are also new DB Fields... The best way is to uninstall and reinstall.

Greez BeNe
10-23-2007 03:48 PM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

and before: backup....
10-23-2007 05:46 PM
BeNe Offline
Moderators

This should be done normally by every Sysadmin to rescue his life in some situations Big Grin

Greez BeNe
10-23-2007 05:53 PM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

BeNe Wrote:This should be done normally by every Sysadmin to rescue his life in some situations Big Grin

Greez BeNe

right! I'm sure GuS knows this...

Maybe I read to much here from so called SysAdmins... who - I'm sure - don't think about it... :-)
10-23-2007 06:21 PM
raphael Offline

Quote:SysAdmins
syswhat?? where??? here??? what am I missing??

Wink
10-24-2007 12:45 AM