Current time: 07-07-2024, 05:28 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Need your advise for new Server setup
scoutsniper Offline

RE: Need your advise for new Server setup
I have the same config but on other servers i using Cpanel and all my server are powered By Intel Quad Core x4 8GB RAM 10TB hard SATA Fast 17000 RPM
11-14-2007 03:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robin Offline

thanks al lot for all the suggestions so far. I understand that it is not so usefull to implement two identical virtual servers on one machine... but if you do that, it should be easy to migrate to a second phisical server that may be comes available in the future.

The nameserver i mentioned provides webfailover, this means if the server is not available all trafiic is routed to another server. This is not loadbalancing, but that is not realy neccesarry since it is one server after all and the total load is the same of course. I think this is also a interesting option to consider.
Reasons to implement 2 webservers on the same machine do make sense it think, just considering restarting your webserver because you need to reconfigure something.

Im still going through all the options.... i definetly want to run database, mail and webserver on a seperate virtual host... but im not sure what to do with redundant webservers and database servers yet.

As some of you mentioned im not sure if this is all worth it and if it even does provide more uptime.

Well if someone has better suggetions on how to setup and make use of virtualization on a single server to provide the best availabilty as far it is possible on a single server......
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2007 06:50 AM by robin.)
11-14-2007 06:44 AM
rbtux Offline
Moderators

you need a second server...

this can be something cheap dualcore 2gb ram an raid 1 sata..

there you can put your sql slave and backup mx...
11-14-2007 06:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
platzwart Offline

scoutsniper Wrote:I have the same config but on other servers i using Cpanel and all my server are powered By Intel Quad Core x4 8GB RAM 10TB hard SATA Fast 17000 RPM

how many domains are you running on your system? ^^
11-14-2007 09:41 AM
BeNe Offline
Moderators

Must be 5000+ or this Machine is ideling.... Wink

Greez BeNe
11-14-2007 05:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rsmithgs Offline

BeNe Wrote:Never did such a Project, but we have a HowTo in the Wiki about a part of it --> http://www.isp-control.net/ispcp/wiki/ho...dwebserver

ooooo my guide, I was originally aiming to seperate the mysql server as well but due to the hard links in the Omega code at the time it wasn't possible.

Might be possible now though? Will have a go when my office is re-set up.
11-14-2007 06:51 PM
scoutsniper Offline

BeNe Wrote:Must be 5000+ or this Machine is ideling.... Wink

Greez BeNe

Yeah from intel give warranty for 5250 users MAX I plan to buy one much faster than this one...The host is expansive Smile i give prices form 50cents for unlimited traffic and 200mb space + 10db + 10db - users and other things are unlimited
11-14-2007 08:47 PM
2471 Offline

First off use Xen for virtualization.

I've been a commercial host since 1997 and been running all my customers on Xen since 2005 without problems and that includes many Asterisk PBX Servers, Xen's performance is second to none.

What you are attempting to do is overkill even for large hosting businesses.

Depending on what you are hosting I would consider setting up less powerful white box systems, amd dual cores with 4 GB ram for example and colo them in different datacenters. Your primary datacenter should be a top notch provider on premium bandwidth, your slaves can be well built and managed centers with cogent.

Now you have real redundancy, spreading your customers over many boxes will save you alot of headaches. When your box goes down, do you want all your customers calling you at once, or just the customers on that box...think about it?

You can build amd dual cores for 400.00 a piece right now or less, at that cost you replace them every 24 to 36 months and keep your equipment new. Now you have redundancy at major savings.

Buying 10,000.00 dollar servers is crazy, they grow obsolete and you never get your money back unless you are doing specialty hosting for big bucks or are a corporation being taken for a financial ride by your IT people.

I run a large hosting business on asus motherboard, 4 GB boxes and my customers don't even know what downtime is. Picking your colo/bandwidth providers is more important than expensive hardware and failover systems...I'm not saying you shouldn't have them in place for disaster.
11-18-2007 12:41 AM
robmorin Offline

How is it alot??

it is much cheaper to keep customers happy than to spend an extra few bucks..

I have a total of 4 serves as of now with another 3 for redundancy coming soon..
Al servers are in 1 U cases, with military type cpu fan
All servers are AMD 64 X2 running Debian AMD 64 kernel
All servers have (software)mirrored 80 gig drives
All Server have 2 NICS , only one active, other as spare
All servers power source connect to a rebooter , in case we need to reboot from afar, all bios are set to halt on no errors and resume last state as
All servers are on a small ups/then generator
All server mount via NFS dirs from backend server, ie /etc/apache2, /var/www, /var/mail/virtual...
All servers have had wget, curl, fetch and other bad executables chowned to root use only, this drastically reduces exploit attacks and such...

I have
1 Firewall server
2 front end servers
1 backend server

coming soon backup firewall server and backup backend server

Firewall server runs Shorewall and all all my services IPs on it
backend server runs Omega and NFS for front end servers....

I run HAproxy on firewall server that does load balancing and port redirection to front end servers.

All servers ONLY accept connections from each other , other than the firewall....

Its not an expensive set up by far, but when completely finished will make me sleep better at night and keep my clients very happy..

I can add as many front end servers as i wish, plug and play i simply remove a mirror from a current one and duplicate a new one.

I use BackupPC as my backup server, it is very nice... i backup "/" on every pc except /proc /tmp, ect...

I will make a doc on how i did all this when i am finished and i am satisfied all is working ok

if you could go 30days with not logging onto a server via shell, would you not be happy?

Smile

Rob...

platzwart Wrote:are you crazy?!?!? why the hell do you need such a redundant system? this costs a lot...?!?
11-21-2007 03:37 AM
scoutsniper Offline

Hmm this is not much is cheaper... I buy 3 Blade Cluster Server with 70 core platform and i'm using debian etch with Cpanel 11
11-21-2007 06:34 AM