Current time: 04-19-2024, 09:53 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Split services to more than one hardware machines
Zothos Offline
Release Manager
Dev Team

RE: Split services to more than one hardware machines
i think we should make it the other way around. We should make ispCP extreme modular. A module for each db type, mail backend, frontend, reseller stuff, costomer stuff, statistics, what other you can imagine. So the admin can choose which components he needs, and then just combine them.
11-21-2007 05:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bodysplit Offline

wow, this would be a realy big work I think. Getting the package modular is one thing, but creating different backends and finding bugs in those many different possible situations. I guess it could make the project just loose quality.

Simply, it could be like using windows with it's zillions and billions of drivers pre-installed for every possible aspect of attaching hardware.

I might be just scared...
11-22-2007 06:24 PM
soringo Offline

No, I dont use qmail ...I used it some time ago and was ok at that time but now postfix is more useful .... postfix is much easier to maintain .

rbtux Wrote:OT:

@soringo: I know postfix and a bit of exim. I don't know much about qmail. Would you really consider use it instead of postfix? I would be interessted in the points why qmail should be used because I heard that it has a lincese that has kind of a special interpretation of open source...

Do you run qmail in a productive environment? I would be very interested in some case studies...
11-22-2007 10:07 PM
rbtux Offline
Moderators

soringo Wrote:postfix is much easier to maintain .

I prefer postfix also about every other mta i know (this includes exim, sendmail, exchange ;-), mercury and hamster)
11-22-2007 10:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zothos Offline
Release Manager
Dev Team

bodysplit Wrote:wow, this would be a realy big work I think. Getting the package modular is one thing, but creating different backends and finding bugs in those many different possible situations. I guess it could make the project just loose quality.

Simply, it could be like using windows with it's zillions and billions of drivers pre-installed for every possible aspect of attaching hardware.

I might be just scared...

sure it would be very hard work. But just take a look at drupal. Its a flexible api and a very modular cms above the api. And i must say. I love the concept. Of hooks, and all the good stuff. If we could make ispCP a bit like drupal, Modular and very flexible. Im sure we can reach the stars.
But it would take some time...
11-23-2007 06:17 AM