Current time: 04-17-2024, 01:01 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
just added
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

just added
Hi
I just added a small check while php is reading the config variables, if all variables in ispcp.conf are present - which can be helpful when doing a manual update.

@Devs: this requires updating file gui/include/ispcp-config.php when adding/removing variables in ispcp.conf !!!

There is now also a small script (first-check.sh) which could help finding similar errors before running ispcp-setup - but this is only sort of test until now...

I think we could add some more of theese checks to reduce trivial support questions.

FYI: I also reverted the changes on the pma theme from december: the php errors are not that worse as a broken design... - ticket #714 can be moved to later...

/Joximu
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2008 08:58 AM by joximu.)
01-08-2008 08:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
raphael Offline

RE: just added
Please don't make those kind of changes, it only complicates the development even more. The whole configs management is already a mess, adding a second check will make things even worst.

In any case some test suites should be written and performed at make time, not on every page request
01-08-2008 02:40 PM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

Hi raphael

for a new installation the make time is ok, but there are alot of already running systems and they all have to do an update.
I'm ok that the check not have to be done with every request (although it's not a big issue - did you see it?) - we also can do a small test-script which can be run seperately. Like in the "horde" packages...
Of course: every added check/test requires some attention from developers - but I don't see any way to do this, except rebuilding the whole thing more or less from scratch.
Shall I outsource the test?
What do you and the other mean? (no I don't make a poll... :-)

/J
01-08-2008 06:21 PM
raphael Offline

Quote:and they all have to do an update.
what's the big deal with using diff and merge?
oh boys, c'mon, if the project was finally going on a good way it is now lost in the dark and dust

I haven't made any change for a while mainly because according to rats every change made by me causes a new bug... but I don't see any progress on the quality of the project nor the RC3 to be released (... didn't rats say tons of time that it was delayed because of me? ... more than one month after my last *real* change...).

And where is malte's custom dns entries code? not even the patch ...

seriously I mean, if no one is going to take care of all the mess and problems I'll consider rewriting many parts from scratch and make it a separate project. The kind of development ispCP is going though is NOT possible for a project of this kind! this isn't a toy for someone to play with, is it? ...
01-09-2008 08:33 AM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

raphael Wrote:
Quote:and they all have to do an update.
what's the big deal with using diff and merge?

well raphael - you know about the users (semi sys admin) here...

My patch already did some help :-)
Just read http://www.isp-control.net/forum/config-...-2105.html

In my opinion some sort of more checks about the configuration is needed - how this looks like is another question.
It may be better in a future, I think it's a plus for the moment.

And: there will be (better: must be) more and more things to be done by the devs, just think about more comments (it's only one thing) - and also more internal checks... which leads us to your next comments... :-)

raphael Wrote:oh boys, c'mon, if the project was finally going on a good way it is now lost in the dark and dust

I haven't made any change for a while mainly because according to rats every change made by me causes a new bug... but I don't see any progress on the quality of the project nor the RC3 to be released (... didn't rats say tons of time that it was delayed because of me? ... more than one month after my last *real* change...).

I'm sure you read the thread http://www.isp-control.net/forum/isp-con...t-906.html
and therefore know my opinion about this.

I also wonder whats going on - sometimes it seems that help is not wanted.

raphael Wrote:And where is malte's custom dns entries code? not even the patch ...

seriously I mean, if no one is going to take care of all the mess and problems I'll consider rewriting many parts from scratch and make it a separate project. The kind of development ispCP is going though is NOT possible for a project of this kind! this isn't a toy for someone to play with, is it? ...

you're totally right but I think it also may be a user friendly software even it's for real sys admins... others maybe think it has to be idiot proof, allthough it's far away from that... :-)

/J
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2008 09:05 AM by joximu.)
01-09-2008 09:03 AM
gOOvER Offline
Banned

I'm agree with Rafael. The only delay of this Project is RatS stupid updatescript. We lose a lot of time to wait for this script. At the Moment this Project is a sinking ship.
01-09-2008 09:06 AM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

It's not a stupid script - but it really is not needed in the ispcp itself - it can be provided seperately.
01-09-2008 09:10 AM
gOOvER Offline
Banned

Sometimes it's difficult to say something in english, like you say it in german. Wink I don't think this Script is stupid. But as you said. This script should only be an Addon and the script have to wait until ispCP is released.

In the Past we talk about Team's. But nothing happens. As Joxi said in an other thread. You lose your motivation with this kind of One Man Project Management.
01-09-2008 09:21 AM
Zothos Offline
Release Manager
Dev Team

We need the script. Just take a look at our users. Most of dont have the skills to upgrade manually, most of them dont habe some basic unix skills either XD. But we need these users, too. If we want to be one of the best cps out there.

You are doing some realy good work raphael. But! you didnt have a testing maschine. So every change wasnt tested before. Therefor we had a bunch of new bugs Sad If your code would be tested before its commited, then I personaly think its ok Tongue.

Dont say, the development isnt going further because of the update script. Ask yourself why you dont help! There are 4 Tickets open for the RC3.

#55 Update Script from VHCS 2.4.7.1 to ispCP ω 1.0.0
#926 vhcs 2.4.71 update no apache config
#928 vhcs update bind not changed
#933 Webmail layout Backend

Currently Rats is working on #55. #933 should be fixed now. Malte did some stuff, but we need verification! And #926 and #928 need some verification, too! So install vhcs and try to migrate! I have the vhcs install files and a vhcs db with some testing data located at my server.
01-09-2008 09:00 PM
Find all posts by this user
BeNe Offline
Moderators

Joximu want to do something good for the Project/Users and he did it! Maybe not the best way but without any bugs or errors. So the normal User has no problem with his change and the uprading user can take care about the missing variables. It is ok in the first step in my eyes.
We can spend later a little time for it to improving.

We have a new GFX-Member "Pumpi" I hope that he can fix our Squirrelmail Problem. He already has a PM about it. So the other two Tickets need to be fixed.

What about a RC4 Branch ?
So raphael can spend his time to new features and the other can bring RC3 to the end. The time we loose so is not more so much.

Greez BeNe
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2008 10:44 PM by BeNe.)
01-09-2008 10:42 PM
Thread Closed