Current time: 04-17-2024, 09:27 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OpenPanel
darz Offline

OpenPanel
Anyone used or looked into openpanel.

http://www.openpanel.com/
04-23-2008 03:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rsmithgs Offline

RE: OpenPanel
Hadn't heard of it until your post. From what I have just seen from the site it looks to be at the same stage of developement as ISPCP Omega and looking at the same goals.

Looks like OpenPanel is starting to look polished and has a simple installation that automatically configures HTTPS access to the control panel.

I might give it a go on a VM but I will probably stick with ISPCP Omega. Been using ISPCP for quite a while (mainly in test form though now building production servers using it) and using VHCS for quite a long time now.

The community seems bigger for ISPCP as well. Or maybe no one uses the forum on the OpenPanel website because everything works out the box? (I don't know if it does work out the box lol)

Edit : I also got the impression the OpenPanel project is just a way for PanelSix to use the opensource community to develop a control panel so they can develop chargeable enterprise bolt-ons afterwards. Not saying that is bad thing but you get the feeling with the ISPCP project that all final results will be available to everyone for free (as in freedom and beer).
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2008 04:53 PM by rsmithgs.)
04-23-2008 04:47 PM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

Project seems to be very young...

Let's have a look at it after a year :-)
04-23-2008 09:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rsmithgs Offline

joximu Wrote:Project seems to be very young...

Let's have a look at it after a year :-)

The project seemed to have started back in 2006 so that would make the project around the same age as ISPCP.

And if we count RC3 as the first real Release candidate then ISPCP hasn't long been out of Beta. OK openpanel has recently gone into beta but I don't think they are more than 6 months behind ISPCP.

Don't get me wrong, if this were a competition then ISPCP is still leading by quite a way but I wouldn't take my eyes off openpanel as it seems they will be offering built in functionality in there first stable release that won't be in ISPCP first stable release.

A bit of friendly competition is always good Smile
04-24-2008 04:23 PM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

Sure.

I downloaded this piece (very amusing pictures are in the image folder :-) and maybe I can have a closer look at it... maybe it helps the creativity :-)
04-24-2008 07:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BioALIEN Offline
Public Relations Officer
Dev Team

Looks very interesting. I believe we should be keeping a close eye on it as competition is a healthy thing.

I wouldn't worry too much about the GUI, its the backend code that's important such as DNS management which OpenPanel seem to have and ispCP seems to lack at present.

Lets hope we push each other to improve and benefit both communities. Smile
04-24-2008 11:50 PM
Zothos Offline
Release Manager
Dev Team

fully agree Smile

Does anyone found the licence openpanel is unsing?
04-25-2008 12:55 AM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

is it this?
http://www.openpanel.com/about/openpanel_advantages/
Quote:...
A free and open source control panel.

An open source platform
We have made our control panel available under the GNU General Public License because our users should be able to look inside our system and provide us with feedback on their wishes and gripes.
04-25-2008 01:43 AM
needsy Offline

They have another bit on their license on their legal page. It appears to be GPL as joximu deduced.
Quote: OpenPanel, wasp and logaxe tools and the libgrace library are made available under the GNU General Public Licence (a "GPL"). This GPL permits any third parties to modify, copy and redistribute the software.

View GNU GPL

PanelSix - the developers of OpenPanel - are committed to keeping OpenPanel free under the terms of the GNU GPL.
04-25-2008 10:03 AM
weblivehelp Offline

Looks a very interesting project indeed. I haven't installed it, just seen the command line video and gui video.
05-05-2008 07:34 PM