Current time: 04-19-2024, 09:44 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Do you want to beautify the perl code in the engine?
Yes
No
don't know
[Show Results]

formatting style of the engine parts (perl)
gOOvER Offline
Banned

RE: formatting style of the engine parts (perl)
I think this i a good idea. Maybe ephiegenie can open you your own branch.
05-11-2008 08:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tseng Offline

ispcomm Wrote:Just think about mobile devices. I am ofter on the move and I have my laptop with me most of the time. However, being able to check the server with a phone or trough a text based browser (as when using ssh over umts with a nokia e90, or an universal ppc) is a huge plus for me. Projects like gplhost support it out of the box.

So... ajax is good but might be a problem on handhelds and being able to administer without requiring a notebook will be a requirement a few years from now.

Regarding coding standard: PEAR coding standard is what I was after too. It's very reasonable and compact, hence readable. php should look the same imho.

ispcomm.

Then maybe we should also create a mobile version? If the PHP code is clean and well structured, then it shouldn't be a big problem. It's just a matter of a good templating engine. AJAX is nice, but not very well supported on mobile devices, so it should be possible to disable it.

gOOvER Wrote:I think this i a good idea. Maybe ephiegenie can open you your own branch.

I think that would be great.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2008 08:45 PM by Tseng.)
05-11-2008 08:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cube Offline

Firstly if AJAX is well done there is always an automatic fallback to traditional methods. Secondly in a few years mobile devices will support JavaScript/AJAX without problems. But perhaps a framework would be nice.
A separate mobile version is not needed because we can offer mobile devices a handheld-stylesheet (media="handheld"), which formats the site the right way.
05-11-2008 10:30 PM
Tseng Offline

I'm actually planning a framework using PEAR and a MVC structure.
05-11-2008 11:05 PM
RatS Offline
Project Leader

okay; here we go:
I thought about using PEAR-Standard with small changes (look at my PHP-Guideline). It would be great if someone would post the PERL-guideline, I will adapt it and than you can start coding. I try to contact Malte for some svn-accounts; however, I don't know, if I reach him today or tomorrow.
05-11-2008 11:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cube Offline

Quote:But perhaps a framework would be nice.
Quote:I'm actually planning a framework using PEAR and a MVC structure.
I'm actually was talking about an AJAX framework like Prototype. We shouldn't talk about the PHP code as long as vacancy has not committed his work and we don't know how the new code looks like.
05-12-2008 12:37 AM
Zothos Offline
Release Manager
Dev Team

jquery is the only one wich is available with the gpl licence... So lets take this one
05-12-2008 01:32 AM
Tseng Offline

Cube Wrote:I'm actually was talking about an AJAX framework like Prototype. We shouldn't talk about the PHP code as long as vacancy has not committed his work and we don't know how the new code looks like.

I thought he was "only" beautifying the code. I was talking about a complete new GUI. Using a MVC architecture and PEAR for the core. And I don't want to interfere with vacancy, just create a complete OO solution written in PHP5.
05-12-2008 01:39 AM
Cube Offline

I'm not sure what he is doing, for sure he is beatifying it, but one of the main reasons why he does it, is that he wanted to make the code more secure. He also wanted to make a DNS management, but I'm not sure if this is part of the recode project.

Doing everything completely new (PHP and HTML) is a bit too much I think, talking about it is easy, but realising is not. I do not want to demotivate, but there were already many who had big plans, but there were no results.
05-12-2008 02:51 AM
ispcomm Offline

Cube Wrote:I do not want to demotivate, but there were already many who had big plans, but there were no results.
I've seen this in many projects already. It's the nature of open source. However a more formal code and a "Framework" would be a good start. There's no need to invent the wheel also. Light frameworks like codeigniter (or better kohana which is fully OO and gpl) would be a good start already.

Regarding me... the panel will be an integral part of my full-day work (as is vhcs now), so I'm motivated. Also, I'm starting slowly... reformatting the perl code so I can understand the engine better and be able to tweak it and fix it. I'll have a few servers currently on sarge to update in the next months and this is a very good reason to move from vhcs to ispcp.

I'm writing some ensim migration scripts as I'll have to convert a few servers currently running ensim. That is why I'm most interested in the engine instead of the front office (php).

I can post a perl guideline, and that would be very similar to the php guideline (which is in turn similar to the pear/cpan ones).

I guess there's a reason for most guidelines being similar: perhaps that is be best compromise.

I'll experiment a little while I wait for your decisions regarding this stuff.

ispcomm.
05-12-2008 03:09 AM