Current time: 04-24-2024, 05:36 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Do you want to beautify the perl code in the engine?
Yes
No
don't know
[Show Results]

formatting style of the engine parts (perl)
ispcomm Offline

formatting style of the engine parts (perl)
I am going trough the engine source over and over (modding and learning how things are done). After several months I still dislike the usage of the empty lines (too much of them make the code look ugly and harder to follow, control structures extend beyound the monitor etc). I guess it was made on purpose to make it harder to understand.

Is it just me ? I wonder why it was never run trough a beautifier after the branch from vhcs.

I would like to propose a poll for "beautifying" the code. This would be a 1-off and would help new developers.

ispcomm.
05-11-2008 04:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tseng Offline

RE: formatting style of the engine parts (perl)
It's not only the perl code. i'm a PHP developer an I absolutly don't like the gui code. Nor the style. I was thinking about creating a project for a nicer gui written in PHP5 and use a better object orientated structure. Maybe someone would like to help and get such a project rolling.

Tseng
05-11-2008 05:43 AM
Cube Offline

Vacancy is rewritting the whole PHP code at the moment:
ticket #1197

Talking about the GUI it would be also necessary to make new templates which are valid (X)HTML (table-less, CSS, AJAX etc.), but as you can see it's not planned for the near future: ticket #487
05-11-2008 05:52 AM
RatS Offline
Project Leader

if someone of you wants to beautify the Perl code, he/she is welcome. I won't do, because it produces to much work (for me).

Why we send valid XHTML to later versions? Because no one in the devel team will do it. Any volunteers?
05-11-2008 06:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tseng Offline

I will volunteer for the project "New ispCP GUI". Like I said... i would love to see a XHTML valid interface an a nice PHP code. Who wants to help on this project?
05-11-2008 06:29 AM
ispcomm Offline

Oops. Seems that I hit the sore point.

Rats, pls. don't take it personally. I see that you're doing a huge job and it's not fair to ask you to do this as well.

All this stuff is inherited from vhcs but it should be fixed at some point. Perhaps before 1.0.0 is better.

So... since it's easy to speak but better to move on, I volunteer now to beautify the perl code, and try to put in some comments in the process. Pls, PM me with details on fow to sync this work with your current work. If the daemons are stable enough it might be an idea for me to have write access to your repository, so that everything will be seamless for you.

BTW... do you have preferences with coding style? I do use a very similar style to yours in php and think perl should look similar too.

ispcomm.
05-11-2008 06:30 AM
Tseng Offline

Could it maybe be possible to give ispcomm and me specific rights to commit to one branch in the repository? I would love to help beautify the perl code and recode the PHP gui.

Perhaps we could stick to the PEAR coding standards? I don't know about Perl though, but I think it should/could be similar.
05-11-2008 06:45 AM
Cube Offline

If we want to develop a new (valid HTML) GUI, we would have to break completely with the actual template system. Enabling AJAX would also require changes in the PHP code. The design itself is nice, so we could reuse the actual images mainly.
I do not have time to help with developing something completely new, but if there is a new base, I will start testing and optimizing it. Which HTML standard would you like to use - I would prefer XHTML 1.0 Transitional?
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2008 08:22 AM by Cube.)
05-11-2008 08:20 AM
Tseng Offline

Maybe XHTML 1.1
05-11-2008 08:22 AM
ispcomm Offline

Tseng Wrote:Maybe XHTML 1.1
Just think about mobile devices. I am often on the move and I have my laptop with me most of the time. However, being able to check the server with a phone or trough a text based browser (as when using ssh over umts with a nokia e90, or an universal ppc) is a huge plus for me. Projects like gplhost support it out of the box.

So... ajax is good but might be a problem on handhelds and being able to administer without requiring a notebook will be a requirement a few years from now.

Regarding coding standard: PEAR coding standard is what I was after too. It's very reasonable and compact, hence readable. php should look the same imho.

ispcomm.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2008 02:53 AM by ispcomm.)
05-11-2008 06:01 PM