Current time: 05-17-2024, 11:45 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SOLVED: db keys on gentoo
unugmax Offline

SOLVED: db keys on gentoo
Hi,

when I run the installer of RC6 on a gentoo (stage3 hardened) system nothing happens. The generation of the database keys never finishes it´s job. The urandom file is quite active, so that can´t be the problem ... well maybe it is, don´t know.

I tried to overrule this process by adding these lines:

Code:
$main::db_pass_key = "IHwVpxADxVkrB2Ta0HbOcNEwJJC08UKG";
$main::db_pass_iv = "5KLWfRQv";

before this:

Code:
if ($main::db_pass_key eq '{KEY}' || $main::db_pass_iv eq '{IV}') {

in the file ispcp_common_code.pl

That allows me to access the installer routine. But once everything is filled in, it stops with the message "Starting Installation...". I guess my "fix" is not exactly what the processing expects.

I never had this problem before on normal gentoo setups (not hardened) or debian. Since my perl is very basic, I ask for some advice how to get rid of this problem. Thanks a lot!

max
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2008 04:57 PM by unugmax.)
08-29-2008 06:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pgentoo Offline
Dev Team

RE: db keys on gentoo
How long did you let it run? Sometimes it takes awhile if your entropy pool is low. run 'cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail' when its running and see how its doing. Alternatively you can generate some "random" disk i/o to increase your entropy.

I'm running on a hardened profile (/usr/portage/profiles/hardened/amd64/multilib) right now, but don't have Grsecurity/PaX enabled...

Everything works fine for me though...
08-29-2008 01:19 PM
unugmax Offline

RE: db keys on gentoo
Ok the dummy IO solved it. Thanks. The starting installation took a along time as well, guess it´s doing the same thing all over again.

First time i´ve been waiting for 15 Minutes or so, this time it took about 5 with a dd process, some unpacking and deleting and a few other ways of creating a bit of load to the machines.

cu
max
08-29-2008 04:56 PM