Current time: 04-19-2024, 07:53 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

No SMTP sending but, no errors
Sens0r Offline

No SMTP sending but, no errors
Hello,

I have a strange problem on my standard ispCP RC 6 installation on my debian Server.

In fact, everything concerning the sending/receiving of e-mails works fine, except the sending over smtp from a Mailclient, Thunderbird for example.

First of all, I have to say that the webmail just works perfectly.
The strange "thing" about my smtp Server problem is that I can't get a connection to my server, thunderbird always returns me an error that it didn't managed to connect to the server.

I analyzed several things, I scanned the port range of my server and got the following output (I only pasted the line related to smtp):
25/tcp filtered smtp

which seems to be alright in my eyes, it is filtered to avoid spammers to misuse the server.

Further, I searched the logs of postfix for errors, warnings and so on, but everything is perfect. Then I tried restarting postfix, didn't change anything.

So, again, I have to ask for your help. I would be very pleased if someone could help me.

Thanks a lot & Greetings,
Steven
10-15-2008 02:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

RE: No SMTP sending but, no errors
You might telnet your smtp-server and talk with him in smtp language to find the problem.

Also try port 587. And of course send a username/password while sending mails (smtp authentication)

/J
10-15-2008 08:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sens0r Offline

Well thanks for your answer.

In fact when I try to login on port 25 over telnet I can't get a connection, port 587 just works fine. So I think this should solve the problem...

Thanks,

Steven
10-16-2008 04:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

hm - but port 25 is also important: all receiving mails for this server are arriving on port 25...
so this must also be fixed...

/J
10-16-2008 05:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply