Current time: 04-16-2024, 07:44 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Oracle buys Sun (Java, MySQL, ...)
kwutzke Offline

Oracle buys Sun (Java, MySQL, ...)
http://www.sun.com/third-party/global/oracle/index.jsp

Hmm I see no reason why Oracle should continue to actively promote and develop MySQL if that deal should really happen...

For ispCP: is there any support for PostgreSQL?

Karsten
04-22-2009 10:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BeNe Offline
Moderators

RE: Oracle buys Sun (Java, MySQL, ...)
-> Moved to Small Talk!
Quote:Hmm I see no reason why Oracle should continue to actively promote and develop MySQL if that deal should really happen...
Sure ?
Billion of MySQL Server are running 24/7 all over the World - also Google play with it - i´sure we have nothing to fear. We talk also about the Image.

Quote:For ispCP: is there any support for PostgreSQL?
No, only MySQL this time.

Greez BeNe
04-22-2009 10:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ephigenie Offline
Project Leader
Administrators

If anything goes really wrong ... we just switch to drizzle Wink

(but i don't think that mysql will be closed down)
04-22-2009 11:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kwutzke Offline

Nothing to fear? I'm not that optimistic. It might not die away any soon, but maybe slowly. Why should they support Oracle *and* MySQL? Note that I'm thinking rather politically than technically... A reason "because so many installation exist" is purely technical and might not be an argument for Oracle strategic managers...
04-23-2009 12:42 AM
ephigenie Offline
Project Leader
Administrators

they will because its that much different.
And users of Mysql won't "upgrade" to Oracle.

Specially if they just managed to get away from it... Wink
So if Oracle closes down mysql or tries to make customers move to oracle DB then they'll loose the customers.
04-23-2009 12:45 AM
lynwell07 Offline

Java is portability, which means that computer programs written in the Java language must run similarly on any supported hardware/operating-system platform. And MySQL is a relational database management system which has more than 6 million installations.

(This post was last modified: 10-10-2009 12:39 AM by lynwell07.)
10-08-2009 02:04 PM
chieuhado Offline
Banned

I had studied Java language and SQL , I think that these are developed more than for student .
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2009 06:01 PM by RatS.)
10-30-2009 04:27 PM
rickyjones09 Offline
Banned

Although MySQL and Oracle clearly occupy two very different spaces in the database industry, Oracle's ownership is likely to make many sysadmins uneasy about its long-term future - are we going to see increased closed-source extensions? Does Oracle have any interest in continuing the product at all?
01-17-2010 01:21 AM
rbtux Offline
Moderators

Well I had an interessting talk about the Mysql / Oracle situation with Lenz Grimmer (Sun - Mysql community manager or somth. like that ;-)).

No one at Mysql (Sun) does currently know in what direction mysql will go in the future.

So I guess it is a bit early to discuss that topic....
01-24-2010 12:30 AM
mr.x Offline
Development Team
Dev Team

Hi,

I got this email from SUN. May be you like to join as well.

Quote:Dear Jan,

yesterday Oracle announced they will host a live event for customers, partners, press and analysts to unveil the Oracle + Sun Strategy. The event will take place on Wednesday, January 27, from 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM
(Pacific) at Oracle's headquarters in Redwood Shores, California. Larry Ellison, along with executives from Oracle and Sun, will outline the post-close strategy for the combined companies, product roadmaps, and how customers will benefit from having all the components -- hardware, operating system, database, middleware, and applications -- engineered to work together. The event will be broadcast globally.

Don’t miss this opportunity to learn more about how this powerful combination will transform the IT industry.

Register today for this live Webcast under http://www.oracle.com/dm/10q3field/43214...jan27.html

Cheers,
Jan
01-26-2010 09:01 AM