Current time: 04-27-2024, 01:02 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Reverse DNS not working
Shayne Offline

Reverse DNS not working
Hiya

I am picking up certain mails are not coming through because of HELO or DNS Mx setting problems. A little research and I think its because of the dns on my box.

When I type host test.mydomain.com I get the following a good response but when I type the host 11.11.11.11 then I get:
not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

What steps must I check or how do I setup the dns correctly.

Just as a point of interest I am new to dns.. and the test.mydomian.com is not regitered anywhere its just a domain I thought up for this box which has a fixed IP.

Regards
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2009 10:59 PM by Shayne.)
06-12-2009 10:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MasterTH Offline

RE: Reverse DNS not working
it must be registered anywhere to give the correct answer to the mail-servers.

when the domain isn't registered anywhere the mailservers you try to send mails think that your server is an spam-sender and will reject any mails that come from you
06-12-2009 11:02 PM
Shayne Offline

(06-12-2009 11:02 PM)MasterTH Wrote:  it must be registered anywhere to give the correct answer to the mail-servers.

when the domain isn't registered anywhere the mailservers you try to send mails think that your server is an spam-sender and will reject any mails that come from you

Some mail is getting through Sad

I am just having problems with certain people.

This box is a DNS server hosting 3 registered domains. All work fine and mail in general works from all the domains. just certain mails when being delivered to me get bounced with HELO & DNS MX settings.
06-12-2009 11:12 PM
kilburn Offline
Development Team
Dev Team

Quote:Some mail is getting through

Obviously, the rejection policies of each server are controlled by their owners, and some are stricter than others. Therefore, some recipients are accepting your mails while others aren't. In any case, it's your fault for having a misconfigured server so... setup it properly or suffer the isolation, you moron Tongue
06-13-2009 12:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Shayne Offline

(06-13-2009 12:51 AM)kilburn Wrote:  
Quote:Some mail is getting through

Obviously, the rejection policies of each server are controlled by their owners, and some are stricter than others. Therefore, some recipients are accepting your mails while others aren't. In any case, it's your fault for having a misconfigured server so... setup it properly or suffer the isolation, you moron Tongue

Moron?? that quite nasty Smile

but yeah solved I actually remember I had this problem before.. so all sorted now!!

Thanks for all the help everyone!
06-15-2009 07:29 PM
kilburn Offline
Development Team
Dev Team

Quote:Moron?? that quite nasty Big Grin

I was just playing the "BOFH role", without any offending intention. Sorry if I was too harsh...
06-16-2009 07:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply