Current time: 10-01-2024, 12:20 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Install ISPCP to seperate partition
LinuxNewb Offline

Install ISPCP to seperate partition
I'm on Ubuntu 9.04 and have successfully gotten everything installed on a basic setup and will be adding a How-To since it needs updating, but I have some specific questions as to how ISPCP functions and things I want to change for my real implementation (right now I'm doing everything on my virtual rig).

I have a 1tb hard drive with a /root partition (20gbs), /boot partition, swap partition, and then 2 seperate partitions. 1 is /srv (300gb's) for ISPCP and the other partition is specifically for my media hosting. Both extra partitions are created using ext3.

I essentially want the root /var/www path to be a nice simple custom made php site I've created and then I want to install ISPCP on the 300gb partition and have Apache direct to it as an alias.

As of right now it seems like ISPCP takes control of the /var/www root path considering that anything Apache2 outputs has to be in /var/www/ispcp/gui

So I guess my question is how difficult would it be to have ISPCP run on a separate partition? Sorry if it's a noobie question. I've taught myself all my linux and considering at work all I play with is IIS/M$ Server this is a big transition Smile
10-08-2009 06:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sci2tech Away

RE: Install ISPCP to seperate partition
Why not mount 300 gb partition on /var/www?
Otherwise is pretty hard. You need apache2-suexec-custom, modify it`s configuration, edit /etc/ispcp/ispcp.conf and some other file
10-08-2009 06:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LinuxNewb Offline

The main reason is because I want to have an only internal access and only external access for specific drives. For when I am at home I want to do an internal setting for media streaming from XBMC or my Xbox 360 (I will have a virtual windows 7 machine). The other network setting (for ispcp) will be on a different subnet and gateway allowing only the 300gb partition to be accessible to the fqdn that I will soon register.

The main reason for different IP information is specifically for security. I want it to be harder for people, if they decide to hack a DDNS enabled home server, to not gain access to personal media (movies, pictures, etc...)

This seems like the most logical and efficient way to implement physical security, by partitioning the drives, and to also have different network setting for a virtual host.
10-08-2009 07:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

hm - if someone is root on your box, then he will be able to access all partitions - only encryption will solve this.

I'd recommend to give /var an own partition (don't forget the mails and databases...).

Of course you can work with symlinks - e.g. /var/www -> /srv
Just forget this thing with a small site on /var/www - the default vhost is ispcp and the other vhosts are on /var/www/virtual/...

/J
10-08-2009 09:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply