Current time: 05-02-2024, 11:58 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

email of users not respecting local characters
robbo007 Offline

email of users not respecting local characters
Hello all,

A few of my users have reported that when people send them email from domains like hotmail etc the local characters, in my case Spanish characters with accents are being displayed with a ? instead of the correct character.

IE: España would be displayed as Espa?a

Anyone had this problem? Is this a Postfix issue on my end?

Thanks,

Rob
10-26-2009 07:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kilburn Offline
Development Team
Dev Team

RE: email of users not respecting local characters
It's really weird, as Postfix shouldn't be modifying any e-mails going through it. My users are also mostly spaniards, and nobody has reported this behaviour on my servers. Ask yours from where are they looking at the e-mails (webmail? outlook? ...?), as I think that this is more of a mail client issue than server-side one...
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2009 10:07 PM by kilburn.)
10-26-2009 10:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robbo007 Offline

I think at one stage I installed all the other local support on my server. Is there a way to test the other locals are installed correctly? IE support for Spanish.

The users have tried collecting mail via Outlook and the Squirelmail webmail. Seems to be the same. Its not happening on all emails which makes me suspect what your saying. Problems with the client or the person sending.

Rob
10-26-2009 10:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kilburn Offline
Development Team
Dev Team

Well, you can execute "locale -a" to view the list of installed locales. That said, postfix should NOT be doing *any* changes to the e-mail, so "locale" support on it is senseless. The only thing that comes into my mind as a possible origin is amavis/spamassassin if you happen to use them...
10-26-2009 10:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply