Current time: 04-27-2024, 09:45 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Progress?
2471 Offline

Progress?
Great to see a pick up where VHCS left off project...

Been using 2.4.7.1 since it was released, works good for my needs but not ready for anyone providing hosting services and customer access, I put a htaccess file in the var directory for security.

I just used the installer on a test vps and it appeared to work well, the installation I mean, hats off to the guy who wrote it!

With all that said, really where is the progress here, I look at the panel and it appears to be the same thing rebranded. I've read about the security changes and what not, but the bottom line is..this is a fork of an already working panel with no additional features only the wait til it's stable scenario seems to be the order of the day.

This panel is way behind the other free offerings, and at this pace will only end up like vhcs..because writing free software is a thankless job which makes anybody with a real life just give up after a while.

Using Directadmin as an example, the reason the panel is doing well and people like it is because the authors get paid and can afford to work on it and develop new features for their customers.

VHCS got off on the right foot because back in that day the hosting industry was crying out for an opensource panel, right now this project is extremely far behind the others in functionality.

I guess I don't see the point in all this unless progress is to be made, a stable release is way late here folks..of course this is just my opinion but comes from a guy who knows and has studied for years just about every piece of code for VHCS, I've even hacked the daylights out of it for my own uses.

What say the new fork developers?
06-22-2007 09:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BioALIEN Offline
Public Relations Officer
Dev Team

RE: Progress?
2471 Wrote:of course this is just my opinion but comes from a guy who knows and has studied for years just about every piece of code for VHCS, I've even hacked the daylights out of it

Then you make an excellent candidate to help us develop ispCP further and expand its potential. There is still lots of room left for improvement. You can have a look at the current wishlist here:
http://www.isp-control.net/ispcp/wiki/wishlist_2_5
06-22-2007 12:21 PM
Z4P Offline

I hav tested many opensource panels, and i likde vhcs2 alot. It was good looking the feateres i needed. I don't need 100 of featers like cpanel. it only make things slow and there are more bugs etc. Then i googled for some things ans saw ispcp, i looked a few on the forums and saw immediatly the crew was very busy with developping and helping people out on the forums. It's a shame vhcs2 is dead, but he not died because it is was a bad software. More that the team fall apart. And if i look at ispcp i see there are more people joining then leaving. Also this is a great opportunity to ask if they wan't to add some features you really want. Like a better dns manager.

I hope this project won't die, and i will try to help the team.
Sincerly, Z4P.
06-22-2007 05:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

2471 Wrote:... this is a fork of an already working panel with no additional features ...

maybe if you look at the gui but inside the switch from mod_php to fatcgi is a progress. I partly agree with you - it's not a magic new "I can do everything" control panel and for the time the project started (I got a Mail from ephigenie in nov 2006 telling me about the ideas) there is not that much more to see.
But the development is totally different - it's open. You can have a look what's going on each day (snapshot or svn).
Of course a commercial development and distribution is different - but if you want to be independent from many marketing people you better take open source.
/Joximu
06-22-2007 09:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
2471 Offline

I would like to but just don't have the time.

One thing I would like to see is different versions, a lite version with admin access only, no reseller or other access..just a lightweight fast and efficient bare bones version to quickly deploy some domains, email and database management.

The point I was trying to make is this...the project started in December of 2006 by taking an already good stable panel, almost 8 months later...?

BioALIEN Wrote:
2471 Wrote:of course this is just my opinion but comes from a guy who knows and has studied for years just about every piece of code for VHCS, I've even hacked the daylights out of it

Then you make an excellent candidate to help us develop ispCP further and expand its potential. There is still lots of room left for improvement. You can have a look at the current wishlist here:
http://www.isp-control.net/ispcp/wiki/wishlist_2_5
06-22-2007 09:21 PM
2471 Offline

I understand that and was aware of the changes but it's been almost 8 months. Sometimes with projects like this it's better to start from scratch rather than cutting code. I hope I'm wrong but it looks like this project has already run out of gas.

joximu Wrote:
2471 Wrote:... this is a fork of an already working panel with no additional features ...

maybe if you look at the gui but inside the switch from mod_php to fatcgi is a progress. I partly agree with you - it's not a magic new "I can do everything" control panel and for the time the project started (I got a Mail from ephigenie in nov 2006 telling me about the ideas) there is not that much more to see.
But the development is totally different - it's open. You can have a look what's going on each day (snapshot or svn).
Of course a commercial development and distribution is different - but if you want to be independent from many marketing people you better take open source.
/Joximu
06-22-2007 09:30 PM
Z4P Offline

There are not only features added, but also alot of bugs fixed. Vhcs had alot of bugs, and with each new feature you add there more bugs. And atm they are very busy making an convert script, and more things. i believe there are alot of new features at 90%. Also the dev team is not big, so updates will be going slower then a comercial product.

But i'm working with ispcp for over 2 months now, and every week there is something new with it. (new layout, new icons, integrations with other scripts, order script, awstats, ssl hacks, mini installers, convert scripts, several little "hacks" and so on.) So i suggest that you take some more time before you start complaining about this project.

And if you still think this project is gonna die, why won't to start giving some advise. Tell us why it is dieing, and what we should do to make it the best opensource panel?
06-22-2007 10:38 PM
2471 Offline

As a programmer myself I can appreciate all that goes into this project whereas the end user takes most things for granted.

I'm heavy into xen virtualization, soon most will be into some sort of virtualization and with that requires a small footprint panel with basic features...http(s), postfix, bind9 and a simple way to manage these services.

After learning VHCS would not install on Debian Etch with modification, I wrote a small panel from scratch with no borrowed code for Debian 4 (etch), as I said sometimes it's just easier to start over. It took me 2 weeks in my spare time, installs with 1 script setting host name and eth0 interface and everything else, all you have to do is apt-get the packages then create a mysql user then run the install script and you are done.

Since I don't give panel access to my customers, I have not written an update engine for it yet, I have to run an update script from the shell after making all changes in the panel..no big deal.

With that said...I hope you keep it simple and resource friendly, thats why I chose to use VHCS in the first place, there are many bloated panels to choose from out there, free and paid. The industry is turning to virtualization, hardware is starting to catch up to that technology and big resource hogging panels won't play a role in this trend at all as people who are in shared hosting environments move to vps, there won't be as large a need for big feature full admin, reseller access panels as there once was.

my.02

Z4P Wrote:There are not only features added, but also alot of bugs fixed. Vhcs had alot of bugs, and with each new feature you add there more bugs. And atm they are very busy making an convert script, and more things. i believe there are alot of new features at 90%. Also the dev team is not big, so updates will be going slower then a comercial product.

But i'm working with ispcp for over 2 months now, and every week there is something new with it. (new layout, new icons, integrations with other scripts, order script, awstats, ssl hacks, mini installers, convert scripts, several little "hacks" and so on.) So i suggest that you take some more time before you start complaining about this project.

And if you still think this project is gonna die, why won't to start giving some advise. Tell us why it is dieing, and what we should do to make it the best opensource panel?
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2007 12:42 AM by 2471.)
06-25-2007 12:35 AM
Z4P Offline

OK, i agree on that with you. I had many problems installingen ispcp on a VPS. But there are alot more control panels who have those problems. But jeay, you need alot of ram to run this panel. Even with that low resource guide, 200-300 is too much.
06-25-2007 12:39 AM
2471 Offline

VHCS runs pretty good on 128 MB with xen3, very well at 256 MB...I have it running on a old unixshell 64 MB account that I use to host 2 junk domains and it works OK even at 64 MB.

Z4P Wrote:OK, i agree on that with you. I had many problems installingen ispcp on a VPS. But there are alot more control panels who have those problems. But jeay, you need alot of ram to run this panel. Even with that low resource guide, 200-300 is too much.
06-25-2007 12:51 AM