Current time: 04-24-2024, 09:37 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Is an irc server a good idea?
This poll is closed.
Awesome, this is a great idea now we can disucc problem ver easy. 19.23% 5 19.23%
This can work, but a free server is enougf. 57.69% 15 57.69%
Meh, i don't think this will be a succes nobody will join it. 19.23% 5 19.23%
Haha, you are kidding right? use the search you see we already tried this. 3.85% 1 3.85%
Total 26 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Ispcp irc server.
Z4P Offline

RE: Ispcp irc server.
jeay ofc it will be owned bij the admins.
I see the most people like the idea for an irc. But we really need some people from the dev team in it to support it. If not it's no use to startup an irc, the will just be a general chat. An we need to annouce it on a good place, and set the adress on a general place. So it won't get suck down into the history of the forums.
06-28-2007 03:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MicCo Offline
Moderators

Be carefull, we allready have breaked up the forum in different langues, which I was against due to spreading the information, and that can be what we also do by making an irc. I see the risk in one user from e.g. franch asking an question in the french forum which will be solved with out all the other users understanding the french language, and never sees the solution to the problem, and also it makes in difficult to search the forum for an topic and ending up in an forum that is in an language you aint understand.

By making the irc, or other option, again you are spreading the information, making it more difficult for the users.
Just from my exsperions and opinion.
06-28-2007 05:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

IMHO it only is a solution if there are people who really care about the channel.
If there is also s.o. of the dev team is not that important. The idea was to solve "small" problems... the hard ones are solved better in the forum...

Wasting manpower is the thing noone really wants...
06-28-2007 06:47 PM
MicCo Offline
Moderators

joximu Wrote:Wasting manpower is the thing noone really wants...

My opinion too.....
06-28-2007 10:44 PM
BioALIEN Offline
Public Relations Officer
Dev Team

MicCo raises very very good points in his post above.

I was also against breaking up the forum into multiple languages and speaking from experience. You want to keep the forum as English as possible to keep the information centralised. This in turn brings more traffic from Search Engines and also more visitors, members and also customers to use ispCP.

So to sum up, I think its good to have an IRC channel for developers to chat and talk with the developers in real time. But it shouldn't be for helping people on how to install/upgrade to ispCP!
06-29-2007 03:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MicCo Offline
Moderators

BioALIEN Wrote:So to sum up, I think its good to have an IRC channel for developers to chat and talk with the developers in real time. But it shouldn't be for helping people on how to install/upgrade to ispCP!

@BioALIEN, You are 99,9% correct (no, actually 100%, but I need to reduce it with 0,1% due to that we allready use Skype for developers).

I will not like to spoile this forum with "popups" of fractions, by giving more and more options, I can remeber once when a german guy asked an question in the forum, at his naturally language, and RatS in a very nice manner told the guy that "Sorry but nobody here understand your question, please write in english!", this guy did just that, recived an answer and was happy Big Grin

And one other thing, I do not "need" to see the text "Sorry for my bad english", due to that fact that we are all JUST human, and at least YOU tryed, and that we like very much.

Also I think there are missing an option in this poll: Nope, I dont support this idear!
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2007 05:58 AM by MicCo.)
06-29-2007 05:51 AM
Z4P Offline

Quote:Also I think there are missing an option in this poll: Nope, I dont support this idear!

I Agree with that, but i can't edit the poll anymore. Rats?

Quote:So to sum up, I think its good to have an IRC channel for developers to chat and talk with the developers in real time. But it shouldn't be for helping people on how to install/upgrade to ispCP!

Jeay, that was a part of my idea, i think it's much easyer to explain a new function if you have a direct chat. But also small problems, i have had several of problems, but ended on the forum with a topic with 5 pages. And there are only 2 posts usefull, and this takes alot of time to wait on others to reply. In a chat we can discuss about it, an be alot directer. Then after that, we can post that simple fix on the forum with just 1 topic, or we post it on the faq.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2007 06:32 AM by Z4P.)
06-29-2007 06:31 AM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

Just for this last thing:
in this forum there is the possibility to PM the "supporter" and maybe find a chat or skype solution to solve a problem more quickly.
I also could think about a sort of webchat which can be activated in the forum.

But a totally separated irc - I don't support this (you have to poll again since I already voted but would vote maybe different if the options change...)

/J
06-29-2007 07:39 AM
RatS Offline
Project Leader

Please do not PM us as developers we have to do enough work, making ispCP working and handling our lifes. ^^
06-29-2007 07:53 AM
MicCo Offline
Moderators

joximu Wrote:Just for this last thing:
in this forum there is the possibility to PM the "supporter" and maybe find a chat or skype solution to solve a problem more quickly.
I also could think about a sort of webchat which can be activated in the forum.
/J

Yeah, use the PM to make contact with the person You think can solve the problem qiuck, and then make an apointment to use Skype or the plugin ShoutBox, that aint activated on this "MyBB", but if we ask politely, I'm pretty sure that Malte will install it, just to end this descusion and turn us all into more productive work to get the first release ready Big Grin
06-29-2007 07:56 AM