Current time: 12-05-2021, 09:21 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)


Post Reply 
modding and what developers think about it..
Author Message
maur Offline
Junior Member
*

Posts: 14
Joined: Jan 2010
Reputation: 0
Post: #1
modding and what developers think about it..
Hello.

Im googling after opensource panels for resellers&clients (i personally as admin prefers clean, black zsh..Wink ).. and i have to say - ispCP looks really fine.

A little bit messed code, but in my 3 years experience in working as software engineer i saw only 2-3 times really nice code - so i know that i can't require too much.Smile

But i have one question - Im searching something opensource because i wish code myself missing parts. Some small pieces like svn/git manager, possibility to set up vhosts on ipv4 AND ipv6 address.. and so on. How are developers of ispCP looking at mods?
Something like 'ok, let's pretend that svn mod doesn't exist' or they actually looking at code and if quality is enough - migrate into panel?

Im asking because i can spend some time on coding something, but i really hate merging my changes with new version of something when I want install update.. Wink
01-30-2010 03:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kilburn Offline
Development Team
*****
Dev Team

Posts: 2,182
Joined: Feb 2007
Reputation: 34
Post: #2
RE: modding and what developers think about it..
Quote:A little bit messed code, but in my 3 years experience in working as software engineer i saw only 2-3 times really nice code - so i know that i can't require too much.

Most of the messy code is a legacy from the VHCS project that we forked. We're trying to improve in this regard...

Quote:But i have one question - Im searching something opensource because i wish code myself missing parts. Some small pieces like svn/git manager, possibility to set up vhosts on ipv4 AND ipv6 address.. and so on. How are developers of ispCP looking at mods?
Something like 'ok, let's pretend that svn mod doesn't exist' or they actually looking at code and if quality is enough - migrate into panel?

Generally, we make polls about which features people is missing most, and then plan releases on top of the obtained results. That said, we encourage everyone to participate and develop the funcionalities that they need. We even allow modders to document their addons in the official wiki, etc..

Quote:Im asking because i can spend some time on coding something, but i really hate merging my changes with new version of something when I want install update.

The hard part here is that we (try to) support a lot of different distributions. This is combined with a strong commitment to *not* enforce the installation of any software that is not already packaged in the official repositories of the target system. As a result, sometimes we can seem "strict" about not incorporating addons: if it's clear that your software is not supported by many different distributions we will probably reject to include it in our codebase.

As the examples that you gave doesn't really conflict with these rules, the only things left before inclusion are that (1) you code them and (2) you do it reasonably well Wink
01-30-2010 04:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
maur Offline
Junior Member
*

Posts: 14
Joined: Jan 2010
Reputation: 0
Post: #3
RE: modding and what developers think about it..
(01-30-2010 04:56 AM)kilburn Wrote:  The hard part here is that we (try to) support a lot of different distributions. This is combined with a strong commitment to *not* enforce the installation of any software that is not already packaged in the official repositories of the target system. As a result, sometimes we can seem "strict" about not incorporating addons: if it's clear that your software is not supported by many different distributions we will probably reject to include it in our codebase.

yes.. i saw that. And I was like "Gentoo? Supported? Who? why? Whaat?" - Im using Gentoo last 4 years and I know how hard is find support/packages on some product sites.
Supporting a lot of distribution and even bsd.. nice target.Smile

Ok, so it's time to install, look deeper.. and hopefully migrate clients.Smile

Thanks.
01-30-2010 05:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 


Forum Jump:


User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)