Current time: 04-21-2024, 12:26 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

new table-less gui planned / worked on?
simple Offline
Graph Team

RE: new table-less gui planned / worked on?
I would go without external templating system, I read a lot about templating and most impressive was an interview with rasmus lerdorf (the php creator). He said "why use a templating system, when php itself was designed as one".

You just have to seperate backend code (model / controler) from the view - the templates, and everything will be fine Wink
07-02-2008 09:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zothos Offline
Release Manager
Dev Team

We need a mvc struckture then all would be fine Tongue The Zend Framework would be my favourite.
07-20-2008 06:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
simple Offline
Graph Team

Zothos Wrote:We need a mvc struckture then all would be fine Tongue The Zend Framework would be my favourite.
Zend is a somewhat suboptimal solution in many ways, I've worked with it since the early betas and still don't really like it. Symfony is a great framework, but either way this goes too far - I just want to make the existing templates better in a real practical way.

My personal goal is: I have to switch my VHCS-servers to ISP as soon as possible, and many people don't like the new look, it's to dark they say. So I do a remake of the new Layout with xHTML & CSS and to show how much it helps in creating new themes, I also deliver the old VHCS-style as a theme based on the new and slim theme.

greets
Markus
07-20-2008 07:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xister Offline
Beta Team

A remake of the old vhcs theme is a very great idea.
nice markus Smile
07-20-2008 08:29 PM
Zothos Offline
Release Manager
Dev Team

i worked with zend and i love it Tongue Symphony is also great. Evaluating it at the moment, but you are right. Its far to much at this moment.

a new theme would be veeeery nice Smile
07-20-2008 08:48 PM
Cube Offline

I like the dark one, it differs from all the other light, soft, web 2.0 stuff. Tongue
07-21-2008 12:00 AM
ephigenie Offline
Project Leader
Administrators

Thoughts about Symfony, Zend and so on are too late for 1.0 Wink

So for now we're stuck using the old template engine we've now.
I think everyone will agreee that we need a new and far better model for 2.0 ...

I for myself prefer symfony as well ... but not now.
The discussion can take place whenever we're ready to make such decisions which means after 1.0 .
07-21-2008 12:22 AM
simple Offline
Graph Team

Since there was still some heavy changes in the templates I plan to rework the gui-templates with the 1.0 final release coming out. Then I have a steady base to build upon and can as a result, deliver the changes faster.

Plans are still unchanged, doing the current design in xhtml/css table-less, then building the old vhcs-theme with the new technique. Idea behind: switching from VHCS to IspCP OMEGA without the customer being confused because of the new design (which is nice, but too dark for many).

greets
Markus
08-09-2008 12:44 AM
BioALIEN Offline
Public Relations Officer
Dev Team

Markus, if it's tableless and with CSS then it's easy for us to include a "light" and "dark" alternatives. In fact this can be changed on the fly without refreshing the page.

Put me down, as it was my intention to improve the GUI also. Any chance we can collaborate on this?

I prefer it if we just improve the existing HTML + CSS of the panel then introduce a new look. Otherwise, it will confuse our existing members. We care more about our existing members who made us what we are, than new comers from rival panels!
08-09-2008 04:13 AM
essdeesee Offline

All this work sounds great, however I have a question with the current template system.

I see in the index.php file, it parses through the page data and then outputs to the page. I think a great start for a new template would be seperated headers and footers, allowing for a decent amount of code reuse.

however, I haven't been able to parse through anything else before the page

Code:
$tpl->define('header', Config::get('LOGIN_TEMPLATE_PATH') . '/includes/header.tpl');
$tpl->parse('HEADER', 'header');
$tpl->prnt('HEADER');

or even simply include a header file in each template page.

Code:
{ include 'includes/header.tpl' }
||
{php} include 'includes/header.tpl' {/php}

Does anybody have experience with this?

Cheers
10-14-2008 01:31 PM