Current time: 04-27-2024, 10:59 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

new table-less gui planned / worked on?
simple Offline
Graph Team

new table-less gui planned / worked on?
In favor of simple templating / layouting the gui I'd prefer an xhtml/css-based gui instead of the heavy table usage it currently is build upon. Since there's no programming involved, it would only include all template files to be changed.

Has someone already started this? Is it in the roadmap of future versions? If not, I would be happy to provide this part of development myself. Because it is a lot of work, I'd like to hear from some developers - and of course users - if or if not this would be a nice thing to have.

greets
Markus
07-01-2008 10:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gOOvER Offline
Banned

RE: new table-less gui planned / worked on?
I think, this is a good idea. Maybe you can contact RatS.
07-01-2008 10:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zothos Offline
Release Manager
Dev Team

Just start programming and provide patches. Then we could easily take a look at how you are working and verify your changes. Smile

If your work is commited into the trunk, im sure you get a svn account for easier coding Wink

greez
/Z
07-01-2008 11:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cube Offline

Please search also the forum. There were already many threads about this - with many ideas.
07-02-2008 04:10 AM
zpin Offline
Dev Team

Also, the templates are not optimally used right now. The main layout is repeated in every template file. Same for the mainmenu.
Changing only minor things in the design is a major pita...
07-02-2008 06:21 AM
ephigenie Offline
Project Leader
Administrators

yeah ... its really a pita - thats why we're focussing on finishing 1.0 and then move on with something like smarty as template engine.

Then we can use the templates more efficient then what is actually done.
07-02-2008 07:22 AM
simple Offline
Graph Team

I didn't find a single item on this, searching for the obvious "template", "table-less", "tableless", "gui remake" (and some more). I think changing the templates makes sense even before switching to Smarty in post-1.0-times. The new and cleaner templates can be converted much easier. I'll contact rats and beginn transforming as soon as I get an answer from him - maybe he knows if someone is already doing the job.

greets
Markus
07-02-2008 07:40 AM
Cube Offline

Quote:I didn't find a single item on this, searching for the obvious "template", "table-less", "tableless", "gui remake" (and some more).
for example: http://www.isp-control.net/forum/formatt...-3272.html
(it starts with perl but goes on with GUI)
07-02-2008 08:00 AM
motokochan Offline

I personally don't care for Smarty. It's bulky and yet another external dependency.

I've actually really enjoyed the way SMF handles templating. It makes for a nice separation of code and layout, and makes translation really easy. It also makes things much more modular.

I'm planning on deploying ispCP Omega on the servers at work (at least the shared hosting and customer-operated dedicated ones), so I'd be more than happy to help with a move in a much better direction for the GUI.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2008 08:34 AM by motokochan.)
07-02-2008 08:31 AM
RatS Offline
Project Leader

TBS is my favourite. Only one file and some extensions. Really fast ans efficient. I don't like Smarty, too. However we are talking about GUI design remake and you are welcome to rewrite it to XHTML 1.0 and CSS 2.1.

I've contacted simple directly.
07-02-2008 08:37 AM