Current time: 04-20-2024, 02:45 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ok I have some problems and questions
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

RE: Ok I have some problems and questions
I ask again: what did you enter as full qualified host name during setup of ispCP?
04-15-2008 03:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
samducker Offline

strawberrymilkshakes.co.uk
04-15-2008 03:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

ah, ok.

So, do the following:

- make sure, that server.strawberrymilkshakes.co.uk resolves to the ip of your server
- best would be if the PTR Entry (reverse lookup) of the server ip resolves back to server.strawberrymilkshakes.co.uk

- change /etc/hostname (to "server" or maybe the full name)
- change /etc/hosts

- change SERVER_HOSTNAME in /etc/ispcp.conf
- change /etc/postfix/main.cf
- change /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf

- maybe also /etc/mailname

I think this should do it - now a reboot of the server would be nice (to reflect the new hostname). And then you should be able to add strawberrymilkshakes.co.uk as a customer domain...
04-15-2008 03:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
samducker Offline

erm I'm thinking going for a fresh install might be good, reinstall debian etch... then is all I do diffrent just enter server.strawberrymilkshakes.co.uk as the FQDN? and what as the hostname?

EDIT: don't think I will reinstall actually
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2008 07:21 AM by samducker.)
04-16-2008 02:38 AM
rsmithgs Offline

Thats alot of help you offered there Joximu :-)

Samducker, if you don't want to use the FQDN server.strawberrymilkshakes.co.uk then you dont have to. The FQDN can be anything you own.

(Sorry I got the feeling there may have been some confusion along the way).

You can choose to specify server.strawberrymilkshakes.co.uk or admin.strawberrymilkshakes.co.uk or webmail6472.strawberrymilkshakes.co.uk, you choose this FQDN when installing ISPCP Omega.

If you enter strawberrymilkshakes.co.uk like you did then this cannot be used as client domain.

It might be worth doing a reinstall as you suggested just to make sure nothing else was entered incorrectly that may come back to haunt you when your hosting live customer data. You may also want to do some internal on the bench testing to get the build and configuration you desire before installing a live server.

Joximu, after your last post do you need to regerate the config so the correct FQDN within the apache config leads to the control panel?
04-16-2008 07:50 AM
samducker Offline

also when I've created server.strawberrymilkshakes.co.uk as the FQDN where will that resolve to as in directory wise?

Also server.strawberrymilkshakes.co.uk doesn't resolve to the ip of my server how do I get it to do this so I can continue with your instructions?

EDIT: I could use ns1.strawberrymilkshakes.co.uk instead as that already resolves to my ip please confirm if this would also work? If possible and just as easy I'd rather use server though
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2008 09:35 AM by samducker.)
04-16-2008 08:57 AM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

@rsmithgs:
Hm, the FQDN does not show up in the apache config - only if you choose the admin-URL to be the same as the FQDN - but I think rgenereting the config files won't change the 00_master.conf.
You have to change all by hand:
evtl. 00_master.conf, the postfix: main.cf, the proftpd.conf and maybe more (just don't know by hard).

Best would be to give the right host name during installation of *debian*, then the ispCP installation works too :-)

@samducker:
you *can* also use ns1.stra... as fqdn. Just to satisfy the rule so that you can use the domain name as a virtual host.

Normally you give the server a name (just the same as to your kids :-) and add the domain name after it. This will lead to e.g. superman.domain.com, mylinux.imthebest.net or whatever.
Of course: the hostname must be resolveable, so you have to add it in the DNS. And: to finish the whole story: add the FQDN also as the Reverse Lookup name for the server ip!

Please read some documentation about DNS and other important protocols/rules in the internet...

Cheers
Joximu
04-16-2008 10:11 AM
rsmithgs Offline

joximu Wrote:@rsmithgs:
Hm, the FQDN does not show up in the apache config - only if you choose the admin-URL to be the same as the FQDN - but I think rgenereting the config files won't change the 00_master.conf.
You have to change all by hand:
evtl. 00_master.conf, the postfix: main.cf, the proftpd.conf and maybe more (just don't know by hard).

Best would be to give the right host name during installation of *debian*, then the ispCP installation works too :-)
I thought the 00_master.conf was re-generated during eerrmmm re-generation.

But I see your point, there is no need for the 00_master.conf to be regenerated as it is correct and unchanged from the inital setup (If done correctly).

So I stand corrected, there is no need to re-generate :-)
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2008 04:11 PM by rsmithgs.)
04-16-2008 04:10 PM
samducker Offline

ARRGH now I can't access the admin panel... strawberrymilkshakes.co.uk works and goes to the default domain page just admin.strawberrymilkshakes.co.uk now does not. I followed your instructions correctly just to note. Also I am using ns1.strawberrymilkshakes.co.uk and not server.strawberrymilkshakes.co.uk.

EDIT: this is pretty urgent as I can't access my admin or webmail or anything just the default page the admin subdomain is now not working Sad
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2008 02:28 AM by samducker.)
04-17-2008 02:22 AM
rsmithgs Offline

samducker Wrote:ARRGH now I can't access the admin panel... strawberrymilkshakes.co.uk works and goes to the default domain page just admin.strawberrymilkshakes.co.uk now does not. I followed your instructions correctly just to note. Also I am using ns1.strawberrymilkshakes.co.uk and not server.strawberrymilkshakes.co.uk.

EDIT: this is pretty urgent as I can't access my admin or webmail or anything just the default page the admin subdomain is now not working Sad

I assume ns1.strawberrymilkshake.co.uk, admin.strawberrymilkshake.co.uk and server.strawberrymilkshake.co.uk are all resolving to the IP of your server.

When you say "does not work" how is it not working, what is it doing instead?

Check your 00_master.conf file to make sure that its there and it contains the correct subdomain. Check logs to see which page is being accessed when visiting the links.

If all else fails, restore the files to a state you had them before you modified them and try again.
04-17-2008 02:49 AM